"In Modern Times" by Spyro Gyra, should I buy the SACD or DVD-A?

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Pine, Nov 20, 2003.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Anybody have either one, or better yet heard both? In the past I have tended to favor the multi-track recordings. So naturally I was leaning towards the DVD-A, but I've read the the multi-track option on the SACD is awesome. Any feedback?

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

eh.. didn't know it was also on DVD-A; as far as i know there is only a SACD multichannel of this album; I have it - great surround mix too [​IMG]

There is a good review at timefordvd.com

edit: actually it does mention at the end of that review that this is also available on DVD-Audio; one would assume that if it was the same label (heads up) the mix would be the same for DVDA as it was for SACD?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'd go with the SACD. It's got 3-way play: SACD M/C, SACD stereo, and CD layer.

4. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    FeisalK: Yes, I also found that review. Another review I read, also mentioned a DVD-A version available.

Rachael: Good point, I hadn't considered that!

UPDATE: Just ordered "In Modern Times" and "DSOTM" SACD's for $34 shipped from Amazon. Not bad, and I didn't have to fight Atlanta traffic to get them!

5. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    John, Rachael et al.:

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Paul, I bet the DVD-A is nice in M/C too. If you had a really nice DVD-A player, that would proably be reason enough to get it. I doubt there's some huge difference between the SACD and DVD-A M/C programs. I doubt many folks could identify them correctly when A-B'ed. This stuff has been argued to death on this very forum to the point of annoying many a folk! The SACD is particularly convient with 3-way play. [​IMG]

John, if you like MODERN TIMES, get ORIGINAL CINEMA too. I can't decide which I like better!?! Best wishes dudes! [​IMG]

7. Chris_Eff

Chris_Eff Stunt Coordinator

I would recommend the SACD as not only is it a great MC mix but the redbook layer sounds excellent. Also to consider is that Telarc does their recording in DSD (if important to you). If you like that album I will second Original Cinema to pick up as well, plus it is an enhanced CD. I wish more albums would come out as hybrid enhanced CD's as the extra content could take away an advantage of DVD-A.