In market for new gaming rig.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug R, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Looking to buy a new full PC gaming system and wanted anyone's opinions about Internet stores with good quality for good prices. Anyone purchase from EBay with success? I don't want to put the machine together. Just want it ready to go when it comes [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Here's a ncie thread to check out. Alienware.com comes to mind when buying a premade gaming PC.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

look into Falcon Northwest despite the fact I prefer building my own they are the ones I would reccomend for a prebuilt. Much better performance for the dollar imho.

4. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

If you arent going to build it yourself, then I would go with Falcon as well. They make some screaming machines. But building your own is much more fun!

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

6. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I would have to agree with John on this one stay away from Ebay, unless you are buying a brand name like Dell at a serious discount from what you could get directly.

Alienware makes some outstanding units but they are pretty darn expensive. Same with Falcon a lot of their systems will run a pretty penny especially when you get into the higher end gaming systems but they are nice. Right now for the price Dell is getting pretty hard to beat unless you build the machine yourself. Of course with Dell you will not be able to get some of the cool cutouts or designs/paints on the case but it is in Dark grey/Black.

KyleS

7. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

Also with Dell and other PC manufacturers, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you install a faster video card, atempt to overclock, or other such tweaks, this voids your warranty.

8. John_Berger

Rats. Duplicate post.

9. John_Berger

10. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

I'll stick with my previous reccomendation. Go buy from falcon nortwest, they cost a bit but you get the same DIY quality and performance from them.

Ebay sales are always sketchy, you haven't a clue as to how the system you buy there will perform and what you can do with it a year from now.

Dells, while they have good computers and great service, have next to zero upgradability. Dell and Most companies like dell like to use proprietary parts so to restrict what you can upgrade in the computer and force you into buying their parts. In addition, few dells are able to be overclocked or tweaked much more than they come as.

11. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

12. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Doug: I'd recommend an Alienware for your gaming rig. They're fast, well-designed, and you can choose the color of your system instead of being stuck with a boring beige box. They're a tad expensive, but they're EXTREMELY fast. Definitely worth a look.

13. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I second Alienware. They always get solid reviews, and use quality components throughout. Good looking PCs as well.

14. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

15. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Alienware, Falcon Northwest, VooDoo, and others will ship you a pre-overclocked system with their warranty.

16. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

I'd suggest Hypersonic PC at http://www.hypersonic-pc.com They're cheaper generally than Voodoo and Falcon NW, and somtimes even cheaper than Alienware. I wouldn't buy from Alienware regardless, they're not what they once where.

17. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Installing a new video card should never void the warranty. If the machine can't handle that, it's not functioning to specification.

Overclocking the CPU is just asking for trouble, trouble the manufacturer naturally would not care to own.

18. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I suggest having me put together a system for you for a very nominal fee. [​IMG] I love working on computers and haven't had the money to buy a system recently.

[​IMG]

(I have heatware refs if you want them...[​IMG])

19. Daniel Alan

Daniel Alan Agent

my vote for a gaming system with a good bang for the buck factor would be ABS (www.abspc.com). you can get a great deal and they are very flexible with configurations. They are always listed in the top 15 PCs on PC world and two of my friends have bought from them and are very happy. thats my $.02

as for overclocking being bad and foolish. That is not true. Only overvolting without proper cooling is foolish. I have a pentium 3 system that has run overclocked ([email protected]) for 3yrs and is still going strong. I would absolutley gaurantee that the overclocked system I am running will last longer than any dell, as my processor runs 20C cooler than that dull. Don't knock overclocking, just knock those who do it without knowing what they are doing. thats my rant for the day

20. Camp

Camp Cinematographer