What's new

In market for 42" 1080p LCD (1 Viewer)

Scott Lang

Agent
Hi, this is my first post. I have been hit with the HD bug and Im very anxious to get a new tv. I currently have a nice tv, but its not HD. Its a 36" Sony Wega. Iv loved it over the past 6 or so years. But im ready to step it up into the HD world.

Iv been doing a little research, but by no means am I an expert. I have narrowed it down a little. I would like a 42" LCD 1080p television. TV is in a room with a decent amount of light, so LCD makes sense. TV center it will be going in will hold a 44" wide max. Im SOOOOO close to being able to fit a 46" if they were only about 1 inch skinnier. But most 46" are out of my price range anyway. I will be about 6-10' away from tv when watching.

The tv will be hooked up to Dish Network HD. I dont currently have a BluRay or HDDVD yet, but plan to get a PS3 or Xbox 360 very soon and that will cover that. Mainly the tv will be movies, sports, video games... not a whole lot of tv shows, but will be some.

I have decided that I DO WANT 1080p, and dont care what anyone tries to tell me about "its not noticeable under 50" or its not or will never be broad casted.... Ill take my chances. I just dont want to be back here in a year regretting my decision wishing I had gotten 1080p... Id like to get best I can now and hopefully it will last another 6+ years like my last one...

Now, with all that being said.. Im looking for suggestions on which model tv to get. Here are a few I have found and are considering, but would like some first hand reviews...

Westinghouse LVM-42W2 42" LCD (no HD tuner, but cheapest)
Sharp - AQUOS LC-42D62U 42" 1080p LCD HDTV
Toshiba - Regza TheaterWide 42HL196 42" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

those are the only 3 that I have really seen, but Im not set on just one of them, if you have any other suggestions please feel free to chime in...

thank you ahead of time

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would personally drop the Toshiba out of your list. Recent consumer reports ranked the Westinghouse slightly higher than the Sharp. Considering the price and the quality I would lean toward the Westinghouse unless you can swing the cash for one of the two Sonys that ranked above the Westinghouse.

Scott Lang

Agent
can u give me a link to that page? Which Sonys were ranked higher? Im starting to think.. which is better 46"/720p or 42"/1080p..... hmmm decisions decisions...

kuliddar

Agent
Does anyone actually have a Westinghouse LCD TV. I would be interested in knowing how the TV is in normal usage (tv, movies, video games). The price is indeed interesting.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I've seen a post here from anyone who has one. IIRC, there were some folks over at AVS who owned this set.

Neal_C

Second Unit
I just purchased the Sharp 2 days ago. I am loving it so far. I haven't spent enough time with it to give an in depth review, but if you would like any info about it I'll be happy to help.

Neal

CoreyAC

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Westinghouse 1080p model, very good unit...who needs a tuner? lol...very nice picture...
My brother has the 46" xbr2 1080p which has better black levels but it is more than TWICE the price of mine...
If i wanted to spend 3G's on a television i would have just bought two of these :)

RickiRed

Grip
Real Name
Rick Houston
I too am looking at the Westinghouse but have not been able to find any reviews or anyone that has one. I am going shopping this weekend and right now it is a toss up between the walmart exclusive Sanyo 42 inch plasma or the Westinghouse. Opinons?

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy will have the Westinghouse 42" Flat-Panel LCD HD (720p) for $999.99 as early bird Black Friday special. Anyone know what the hours are for teh "early bird" price? Also, is it worth it? It's ain't 1080p...

Neal_C

Second Unit
I believe the Best Buy early bird is 5am to noon with a minimum of 5 units available at each store.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for clearing that up! I can get there before work then. Can anyone confirm if Neal is right?

Scott Lang

Agent
I read alot of problems with the Westinghouse 1080p version. Especially when hooking up to an HDMI 1080p (like ps3, bluray, etc)...

can someone please comment on this set.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Neal! I'm heading there today to buy the Panasonic, I think and see if I can PM just by being there at 5 am on Black Friday.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Hopefully they will take care of you on the price match. I bought some Ipod Nanos last night and then saw the BF ad where they are giving out $25 gift cards with the same Nanos. So I called them about a price match and they told me not to come in until Saturday because they wouldn't be doing any returns/exchanges/price matches on Friday because they will be so busy. Then again, this is part of their 3 day sale and your tv is the 7 hour sale. Good luck.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

Nope, they won't. :frowning: I just went to buy a TV, and the same guy who suggested the technique to me said that he checked with his manager, and he told him, "no, no PMs on BF for things bought prior to BF." Bummer. I'd hate to fight the BF hordes and would rather spend hundreds more $ for sanity and convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks