What's new

In Love with Digital Direct. (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I feel for all of you in 'love' with grain. I am well aware that film grain can be an artistic part of the 'movie' experience. In a movie such as Saving Privite Ryan, it helps tell the story, as well as take you back to the beach on that fateful day.

However I find grain from film in some transfers distacting, rather than artistic.

I predicted that 'film' lovers would complain about the lack of grain in a DVD transfer. And have seen numerous post to back this up.

I looked forward to the day when DVD transfers would be able to bypass film and be direct from the digital files. And low and behold, my prays were answered with the release of A Bug's Life.

And I await the release of the next digital direct 'film', with passionate longing.

My collection so far:

Atlantis SE

A Bug's Life SE

Dinosaur CE

Fantasia 2000 Anthology

Final Fantasy SE

Shrik SE

Tarzan CE

Toy Story Ultimate Box Set (thanks Talal, forgot the 'great one']

Anyone else for or against this pactice?

Any other Digital Direct Transfer DVD's, I should be looking for?

I worked at a classical music store back in the eighties. I had a customer who refused to buy CD's unless they were DDD (digitally recorded, mixed and mastered). He didn't care about performance or artistic excellence, he just wanted pristine sound. (after all, the analog Karajan/Beethoven symphonies {'63 & '77} blew AWAY the digital versions! [I prefer '63]) In fact, he even brought back a few of those CD's because he could hear the musicians breathing and flipping their sheet music!

There's a moral to this story, just can't think of it.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I like digital direct transfers where appropriate. For Toy Story, Shrek and other (CGI) animated features, that's nice. However, I'm curious as to whether the upcoming Star Wars DVD's (Ep2&3) will be direct digital, and in that case how they will look...

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Personally, I like movies. And I want them presented as well as they can be. Grain? I don't really have much of an opinion one way or the other. If it's a good movie and it looks and sounds good, I'm happy.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I dig the pristine picture, too. But, the lack of it won't keep me from buying the film.

Sometimes, though, the grain seems overcooked, to the point of being pretentious, as if to scream "look at me! I use film, I am superior, and you must bow to me!!!"

Michael Mann strikes me like that- Heat and Last of the Mohicans both look very grainy. I suppose it's intentional, but there's a part of me that thinks "director's intent" is doublespeak for "oops, I used the wrong film stock and lab." Maybe the transfer to DVD just sucks- who knows. I barely have time to watch the finished product, let alone be totally knowledgeable on how the process of making it was done.

Good thing I REALLY like both of those films.

I hope that isn't your entire DVD collection, Ed. If so, MAN, are you missing out!!

Todd

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Todd, just the DDT part of the 500+ collection.

Which version of LotM did you get? I waited for the anamorphic/DTS version. But heard it was not a huge differance in picture quality.

Joel, I know the moral. I am just looking for direct digital transfers from 'films' done in digital files. I do enjoy the lack of grain in Snow White, but also fully understand those that 'miss' the grain. When the art starts with no grain, I enjoy seeing it presented with no grain.

Thanks guy's, any titles am missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks