In Living Color

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Antonio_G, May 10, 2005.

1. Antonio_G

Antonio_G Stunt Coordinator

I don't see a thread for this so I'll make one I will be getting the 3rd season today after school because it will be on sale and I like when my favorite tv box set is on sale. I will be finishing the In Living Color box sets when all the seasons comes out and I hope they all come out. In Living Color was on the best show on FOX in the 1990s and I wish their were more shows like that but they won't be in a long time.

2. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

Im just trying to figure out why they put 4 episodes per side ( 6 sides total on 3 discs ) and the video looks pretty bad , with no extras , commentaries ,etc .. I havent looked at the bitrate count yet , but its just really muddy . [​IMG]

Video should have looked alot better with less than 2 hours of info per side.

[​IMG]

3. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

What?? I've been watching them and the video is excellent (as usual)! [​IMG] The 1991-1992 season shows are complete as usual and the 28 episodes produced that year included the Super Bowl special and the blooper show. It's really not that big a deal that Jennifer Lopez got her professional start as a Fly Girl in the 3rd season premiere.

Jamie Foxx and comedian Steve Park were the new featured players that year. Shawn Wayans -- originally SW-1 (the DJ) was promoted to regular cast member.

I forgot that Alexandra Wentworth didn't join until the start of the 4th season. Keenan Ivory Wayans was the first of the Wayans family to quit, followed a month or two later by Damon. Kim Wayans left in 1993. I think Kelly Coffield left then also.

There were several new cast members by the 5th and final season, including Marc Wilmore (whose brother Larry had long been a writer on the show). Chris Rock, previously a regular on Saturday Night Live, made a few appearances as a special guest star during In Living Color's last year. Through it all, only Jim Carrey, Tommy Davidson, T'Keyah "Crystal" Keymah, and David Alan Grier stayed for the entire series.

Back to Season 3, it was a change of pace for FOX to make the discs double sided, but that might have been because there were more shows that year than in the previous two.

I agree that it's disappointing to see that after enjoying cast member Tommy Davidson's commentaries on selected episodes from the first 1st season box set and writers / directors commentaries on the 2nd season set, a complete lack of any commentaries or extras whatsoever (except for a FOX ad for the current MAD TV) on the 3rd season set. But do we really need those, when the funny sketches and also the music speak for themselves?

4. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

It looks like Fox has cut a bunch of stuff so I don't understand your "shows are complete as usual" comment.

I think the songs "Me Want Maurey", "Promise of a Thin Me", and "Am I Black or White" were cut, which are unforgivable.

Also, I think Damon was the first to leave, then he came back for a few shows as a cameo.

I'm in the small minority that thinks the show got better when he left. KIW was my least favorite cast member.

Doug

5. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I would assume that the songs that were cut out of
    the shows has to do with rights problems. I hope the
    skit with Carrey immitating Michael Bolton is still
    part of the DVD collection- it's priceless (his head
    explodes from over-singing). I didn't know that Carrey
    stayed for the entire series.

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I was under the impression that song parody's didn't fall under rights issues.

7. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

As far as I can see there weren't any musical numbers cut, because there were a number of episodes of In Living Color that had no musical guest. Those that did were usually in the last few minutes to close the show and also into the end credits. Even Queen Latifah (when she was still a rapper) made a few appearances on the show and her performances are there on the DVDs.

Musical numbers sometimes cut from the video releases describes Saturday Night Live and Chappelle's Show.

8. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

Weren't some of the dance numbers cut, though (at least, on the season one set)?

Whatever, the fact that so much has been cut anyway has put me off of buying any of these. I'll keep my tapes.

9. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

There's a very easy way to check if anything was cut from the episodes. If it's around 22 minutes then nothing has been cut. I'm not going to go through all of the first season again this soon, but it's a safe bet that they're all complete. Why settle for tapes when the DVDs are so much better? [​IMG]

10. krisBjorn

krisBjorn Auditioning

When so much GOOD stuff is cut from the dvds, how can you blame him for keeping tapes??

Missing/Cut from In Living Color DVDs:

Skits (and ep according to tvtome):
    (MISSING SKITS) : Me Want Maury , Vanialla Ice Skit

ep: 40
    Crown Heights Story

ep: 43
    JJ Walker - "Mama Said Knock You Out"

ep 44:
    PCN: good behavior

ep 46:
    the jackson bunch

ep 47:
    parody Paula Abdul - "Promise of a Thin Me"

ep 48:
    david duke
    crystal waters video parody

ep 53:
    Michael Jackson - "(Am I) Black or White"
    darnell bond

ep 54:
    Connie chung

ep 56:
    Rice Cube

ep 59
    Career aid

ep 64
    great moments in black history
    pee wee's adult adventure
    (both of these are re-runs skits: but are missing on this particular ep)

I think with that much missing, some are justified to keep the tapes they have...

11. WillG

WillG Producer

Christ! I was on the fence about getting this, but I guess I know it's a "No Sale" for me. It should never have been released with all those edits. One or two things cut because of licensing issues, I might have been able to understand, but the above is ridiculous.

12. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Well, that's certainly surprising! But TV Tome isn't necessarily accurate. I would do a show by show comparison between your tapes and someone who already has the discs.

I saw every episode in first-run during the early 1990s, and with so many sketches it's hard to keep track. I've thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 seasons again --- this time on DVD and I'm definitely buying the 4th and 5th once they are released.

13. Jeff D Han

Unfortunately the only losers out of all this is us
    fans. Lawyers and greed are the reasons we don't get
    some of our favorite skits. [​IMG]

14. Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Bad enough Season 2 was a risk to buy. I can definitely say Season 3 is a no-sale for me. On top of the cuts, some of the songs used for the dance segments were replaced with generic rap instrumentals (at least, from what I read on several reviews). It looks like FOX is taking lessons from Lions Gate when it comes to TV-on-DVD. Damn shame...

15. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Well, I just started watching Disc 2 of Season 3 of In Living Color and it's obvious that a few of the episodes on both sides were cut, because I noticed they are less than 22 minutes. In fact, one of them is only 19 minutes! Those few start with the theme song and skip the usual cold opening before it -- probably a music video parody.

16. Chuck West

Chuck West Stunt Coordinator

Damn... I just bought Season 3 yesterday without reading any reviews. If all of the above was cut, this will be the last ILC DVD I buy. Maybe the last Fox TV DVD I buy.... [​IMG]

17. Jeff D Han

I wanted the season sets for the Jim Carrey stuff
    (Vera DeMilo, Fire Marshall Bill), but #3 will
    probably be my last purchase of this show. I don't
    agree with altered or edited material, and I try not
    to support this practice with my money and interest.
    I think I'll write a letter to FOX to express my
    disapproval and dissatisfaction over this issue, and
    to tell them to release material COMPLETE, or don't
    release it at all. Paramount seemed to get the message
    when I wrote them about the butchered Ren & Stimpy.
    Let's see if FOX gives a damn.

18. Jeff D Han

If anybody is interested, here is the addrerss for FOX-

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
    2121 Avenue of the Stars
    25th Floor
    Los Angeles, CA 90028

I got this information from the digital bits website.
    Email and phone numbers can be found at that site also.

19. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

While most of the shows were complete, one of the episodes on Side 1 of Disc 2 in the newest set that I watched last night is only 16 minutes long!! More than 6 minutes of bits were cut from that alone! [​IMG]

20. Antonio_G

Antonio_G Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to call them and see if my comments will help them or not becaue mailing them my comments will not get pass them which will sucks...