1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

In Living Color S1 - Anyone have it yet?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Hetzler, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Matt Hetzler

Matt Hetzler Stunt Coordinator

I haven't found any reviews for this set yet and no threads talking about it. Does nobody care? Am I the only one that LOVED this show growing up? [​IMG]

2. David*P

David*P Supporting Actor

David
    Didn't it just come out today? I know my cousin is going to go pick it up and I may later on cause I loved the show too.

Maybe everyone else is watching it right now and they'll get back to us later.

3. John Huynh

John Huynh Auditioning

theres a review at ign.com

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

No, your not the only 1, it just came out today and I'm looking forward to watching it.

5. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The Wayans have pulled a Wachowski. Although Keenan Ivory Wayans and siblings were vital in creating the show and making it a hit, they are conspicuous in their absence from the set's meager extras: a half-hour retrospective, a five-minute feature on the Fly Girls and two episode commentaries (weak contribution from Tommy Davidson). Not surprisingly, Jim Carrey did not participate either. (All are featured in clips, of course.) David Alan Grier and Davidson are the only cast members interviewed.

But fans aren't buying this for the extras. It's amazing how strong the show was right from the start. The Tracy Chapman bit is as funny now as it was when she was popular with the song "Fast Car."

6. Neil_R

Neil_R Auditioning

Neil
    I just got my In Living Color Season 1 set. But it looks like there was a packaging error!

Check it out:

ccs.neu.edu/home/nr2/dvd.jpg

Add a www followed by a dot, in front of the above URL.

It looks like they put two copies of "Season One Disc Three" in the package!

Did anyone else get the DVD yet? If so, did you get the same thing?

I'm hesitant about opening this. Maybe it's just a labelling error?

7. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting a 502 error when trying to visit the web page.

Anyway, my In Living Color S1 set is correctly labled, if that's any help. It sounds like you have a packaging error on your hands. Probably best to not open it, and return it for a correct set.

8. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I heard a rumour going around that some of the eps were cut due to music licensing issues. Now I don't recall much of the 1st season since it's been a good decade or more since I had last seen the show, but can anyone verify whether these shows are in their entirety or not? This issue will play a big part in whether I pick this up or not.

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Watched the first disc and loved it.

10. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

For anyone looking to see who has reviewed this or any other DVD for that matter, might I suggest DVD Basin just do a search for In Living Color and links to all the reviews will pop up.

11. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Yeah finished watching this, great stuff, the picture quality was a lot better than I was expecting.

Bring on Season 2!

12. WillG

WillG Producer

I've been going through this one kind of slowy. Some of it is not as funny as I remembered it years ago anymore, but there is a lot of good material as well. I have not detected anything edited. I did notice that the label of one of the records SW1 was spinning was blacked out. I guess that's not a very big deal though.

13. Rhoq

Rhoq Supporting Actor

Same here. I had some free time on my hands, so I began watching the first disc yesterday morning. Definitely not as funny as I remembered it. Maybe that's because 14 years ago, I was 14 and everything seems to be a lot funnier when you're a kid.

Anyways, as far as I could tell, all of the music is intact (at least for the first 4 episodes on Disc One - which is all I have had a chance to watch).

As far as "blacked-out" labels on the records - that used to be a common practice by DJs. If you black-out a label, nobody will know what you're playing. It makes it harder for rival DJs to compete with you since they can't take a peek at info on the record's label [​IMG] In theory, it kind of gives you a sort of exclusivity at least for a little while, if you have a hot song that nobody has heard yet. Without knowing the song title and/or artist it makes it harder for someone to run out and buy the record for themselves. (And yes, I am a DJ that still spins vinyl).

14. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Well, I watched all of the In Living Color episodes over my my 3 days off. I watched episode 1 on Saturday & I watched the other episdoes on Sunday. I've had this product since April.

The show is still good but it's not as funny as when it was new but I was only 13 yrs. old when the show first aired during 1990.

Homey The Clown is still one of the best sketches. IMO, Homey The Clown, Hey Mon & I Love Laquita (I Love Laquita is an I Love Lucy parody. It's funny to see/hear Jim Carrey acting like Desi Arnez).

The picture/audio quality is good considering that the 1st season is 14 yrs. old. I haven't watched the extra features but it sucks that none of the Wayan's siblings were involved in the extras because Keenan Ivory Wayans & his family members are the ones who made this show a vital success. Maybe they were busy but I'm thinking that they might not anything to do with the show anymore.

15. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

From what I remember (I have off-air recordings from the original 1990 run), the LP labels were simply the show's original logo (the one they got sued over and had to change). This logo should be on the vinyl LPs for at least the first six shows. If any LP labels are blacked out on those episodes, then someone did some monkeying around with the episodes.

16. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I don't know Keenan and Co.'s current stance, but the whole reason they left the show in the first place (before its final season) is that Fox was running mid-week repeats without consulting Keenan, who was opposed to the idea. Don't know if he was worried about overexposure or if the network was screwing them on money paid for repeats. I can't remember if all the extra reruns were during the regular season or in the summer between seasons.

Anyway, after all that, all of the Wayanses walked before the next season entered production.

17. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I just picked up this set thanks to the $14.99 Amazon Fox Season 1 TV show deals, and I'm loving it. One question though, I noticed there appeared to be some sort of greasey mark on the back of the box, and when I went to exchange it at the local Best Buy, I noticed each one of the Season 1 and Season 2 box sets have varying random marks chich kinda detract from the overall packaging. Anybody here have any idea what could've caused this? I'm referring to the box directly, it's not like something soaked thru the shrinkwrap, so it must've been done in packaging at the warehouses, I'm assuming.

18. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Yours must have been packed right after lunch.