What's new

In-line coax surge protectors worth their weight? (1 Viewer)

Paul Richard

Auditioning
Since we got cable, I want to connect our current aerial antenna to my receiver's FM input. However the thought of connecting a giant lightning magnet directly to my baby worries me a bit... Radio Shack sells inline coax surge protectors for 10$, was wondering if they're even able to stop a jolt or should I just not bother.

Input requested!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's a legitimate concern. Find out where your outside grounding rod is and see about finding a way to run a good, heavy, ground wire from the surge arrestor to there. If that's too far, then a way to connect the ground wire to something else that goes to earth ground (pipe?) would be very beneficial. The idea is to divert the surge into the ground where it won't do you any harm. The shorter the wire the better. There's a variety of sources that sell such units.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
After decades and decades of TV antennas atop roofs, I dont think there's a whole lotta evidence that these were/are "lightning magnets." Most were never grounded in the first place and survived.

However, in using 75-ohm black coaxial cable of the RG-6/RG-59 type from a rooftop ant (FM in my case) it's recommended to install an inline STATIC ARREST unit close to the antenna. From here, a 6AWG copper or aluminum wire attaches to a set screw and down to the ground stake -- as Chu says PREFERABLY the main ground underneath the service entrance box.

People using CATV or SAT coax incoming may add a specific inline surge suppressor somewhere in the line. Here's the SURGE ENDER I found recommended by researchers in a AVS Forum thread.

bill

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
There are very similar units like the one you pointed out Bill that also include provisions for that ground wire. Perhaps the company you mentioned has one. Me, I'd call them. To me, if you want to put one on, you might as well do it right and add that ground wire. Wouldn't surprise me if that ground wire cost more than the suppressor!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks