What's new

In Iraq, TV Advice for when I return (1 Viewer)

David_Bl

Grip
Greetings,

I haven't posted for a while, I'm currently serving with the Army in Al Asad, Iraq. My 14 month tour will be up soon.

I want to blow some of my hard earned Tax-Free earnings on a new set when I get home, but I've been out of the loop so long, I don't even know who the contenders are anymore.

In my current setup, I've got a Tosh TW40X81 Rear Projection TV, calibrated by Gregg. Signal is from DirecTivo, and I've got some cheep surround sound, and a Panny DVD player.

I'd like to get something bigger, but I don't know whether to go with a Flat Screen or an RPTV, or what? I'm so out of it, I don't know where to begin. My budget will be $3k to $5k, but less expensive is better. Would be nice if it is tweakable.

So, can anyone help me out? Which sets are the contenders in the tweakable, widescreen, HDTV, 50 inch, $3k - $5k range? Oh, and my TOSH has excellent "stretch" modes -- I'd want a replacment that handles the stretching of content equally as well.

Thanks,

David

JohnRow

Auditioning
I am sure that the folks here will help out as I am more familiar with the projector end of things I'll reserve comment on your question.

I just wanted to reply to say thank you to you and your fellow soldiers. Me and my family all really appreciate and admire your service.

JR

David_Bl

Grip
John,

You're certainly welcome. :)

I can say that the soldier's over here feel 100% supported by the folks back home. I think America has repented of it's treatment of soldiers in the Viet Nam Era, and understand that soldiers don't choose whether they go fight or not.

I'm somewhat open to projectors, although that doesn't seem kid friendly -- ie, do you have the projector for "movie night", or do you and your family watch a lot of regular TV too? And is it a pain to fire up the projector when you get ready, or is it just about like waiting for an RPTV to warm up?

Thanks,

David

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
David

Just a few thoughts.

A really good 50 inch plasma is going to run you right around 5K.

Rear projectors have come way down in price. A 51 inch Toshiba can be had for $1,000 plus delivery. Now is a great time for RPTV. Even the 65 inch Toshiba RPTV is only $1,600 plus shipping.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
David,

If I owned a shop, I would give you a PHAT deal on a system, but I am not in retail.

Hopefully, one of the site sponsors will read this and give you a deal on an new rig.

You deserve it!!!

As for an HDTV, if you want to go the RPTV route again. You can get a 65" for way under 2k. Get that baby calibrated and you be set.

As far as your sound systems goes, I always found that studio monitors works just as well or better then the mid end consumer lines. Lots of times, you will find closeout deals at your local guitar centers.

THANKS for keeping us safe.

David_Bl

Grip
Thanks for the sentiments gang. You guys are very kind, and my buddies and I appreciate it.

WOW! I had no idea that 51 inch RPTVs had come down so much in price! And the 65 inchers are under 2k. I paid $3k for my TW40X81 back in 2000/2001 time frame.

Are TOSH's still the "muscle cars" of the RPTV world, ie maybe not so hot stock, but someone like Gregg or Michael can really make them shine? Since they've come down in price so much, are the top of the line RPTV's now in my price range $3k - $5k?

I'll poke around some on the net. I really used to hate it when someone started a "Which is the best set" thread, but on the other hand I'm totally lost. You guys have given me a starting point.

Thanks,

David

Phill O

Stunt Coordinator
If you are active duty and move allot with family;
I would recommend a 42"/50" LCD TV. They are lighter and
more durable than Plasma and other TVs. But I don't like
the LCDs that I have seen. But any TV is better than a broken one.

However if you are a reservist/guardsman. Then get what ever you want. For your home. And enjoy it to the max.

As someone is was once deployed. enjoy your 30 days of leave and R&R when you come home. But get your A** back to work after that! Don't be like myself and allot of others who went into a nine month funk when we came home. You and your wallet will be better off.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Um, I'd just like to say I'm in Iraq too (on my second year long tour, was also here in '03-'04 during the invasion), at Camp Victory in Baghdad, and my Sony KP43HT20 is gettin g long in the tooth too. It's lacking HMDI, which=no HD-DVD and probably no Blu-Ray for me. Any handouts are appreciated (j/k) . :D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

The question is what do you want to use the set for? TV viewing or mostly movies? A lot of people are going with RPTV DLP sets from Samsung and Mitsubishi. The LCD sets from Sony are big favorites as are the LCOS from JVC. The newer RPTV units from Samsung will resolve 1080p and have HDMI and DVI inputs.

If you want a really big picture then go with a FPTV. A Infocus 4805 with a 110 inch Carada screen can be had for less than $2K. Another favorite is the Panasonic AE700. The Infocus is a DLP projector and the Panasonic is a LCD type. Both will give you a fantastic large picture.

One of the nice things about the new DLP and LCD RPTV units is that they are not the same beasts of furniture that the older CRT types are.

Whatever you choose to go with give the guys at TV Authority a call and tell them that you are a forum member and they will cut you a great deal.

I second all that has been already said in thanking you and all the guys and gals for the service that you have provided for our country.

Jim:

The sames goes for you and your service to our country. As I said to David give the guys at TV Authority a shout when you are ready to pick up a new set and they will cut you a great deal.

Parker

David_Bl

Grip
Parker,

Thanks for weighing in -- I'll poke around at the TV Authority, and check out your suggestions

My family and I tend to do about 70% TV, 30% DVD's.

I bought my TOSH 40 incher when we were in a smaller house. My new(er) house has a bigger family room and can support a bigger set.

I certainly will give the TV Authority a call.

David

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
David

You asked about top-of-the-line RPTV. A 65 inch Mitsubishi CRT-RPTV with 9 inch guns plus professional calibration will run you about $3,500-$4,000.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I would also second the recommendation for the InFocus 4805. Takes up no room space, as big a pic as you can fit, and no calibration needed...pretty much perfect out-of-box.
$1000 or so these days. Even if you went with this for "movie night", and a more conventional RPTV for TV, might be an idea.

Scotty P

Agent
if tv will be used for everyday and movies then the biggest consideration is how much light comes into the room. the lcd and dlp (and LCOS) rear proj are very bright and a good size would be in the $3-4K range. Still best picture quality and best value (as the prices have fallen) is a CRT-Rear Proj. if light isn't a problem.

JohnRow

Auditioning
David, to answer your quesion about the projector; I have it in a dedicated room and therefore no ambient light affects it.

For general purpose use I would think TV is the way to go and I see that you have received a lot of great feedback.

All the best to you all there.

JR

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
I've been looking at the JVC LCOS displays out there....they seem better than the LCD displays, and they don't exhibit the darned rainbow effect or oversharpness that DLP can. The LCOS technology seems good, I wonder why it isn't more prevalent...other than less than optimal black levels?

Honestly, I'm a CRT fan (NOTHING matches a good CRT in my humble opinion), but another 200 pound hulking set in my home just isn't appealing to me. If that thin-CRT technology ever materializes (it's been just a year or two away now for about 5 years) I'll be all over it, price be damned.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I agree Jim, CRT certainly still holds on to the "best picture quality" category for me as well.......I just can't ever see myself getting one because of the tremendous size and weight of those beasts LOL!!

David, I agree with what a few people have said. If you are going to be viewing tv 70% and movies 30% than I would jump all over a FP for movies and a decent 46-50" DLP or LCD RP set for movies......after all is said and done you could wind up spending less than $3,500 for EVERYTHING.....not a bad "investment". I agree with Parker and take a look at the Infocus 4805, Panny ae700 and also a Sanyo Z3 and Optoma H31. They are all of the most popular FP's out right now. As for the RP, I like the Samsung or Mits DLP's and Sony LCD's right now. My real favorite RP is the DILA set from JVC......wonderful set.

And to both David and Jim......
I thank you very much for what you have done and are doing for our wonderful country. You are hero's in the strongest sense of the word. You are great Americans.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Thanks for the kind words Evan, but I'm just a regular guy like you doing a job. :)

Do I understand you correctly that the that LCOS (DILA) sets are rear projection? I thought they were direct view...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks