What's new

In Home Wireless Network? (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I been thinking of setting up a wireless network at home.

My wife will be getting a laptop soon and id like for her (read me) to be able to sit anywhere and access the internet (read play online games).

My question is, can i do this with a cable ISP?

Ive heard of DSL wireless networks, but can i do this with cable?

PS, anyone know exactly what i would need? I think i need a USB antanae, wires card for the laptop, and what else?

Thanks.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
You need something like a Linksys wireless router, not only it has wireless capability, it also has several CAT5 outlets. Please note that some wireless routers are EXCLUSIVELY wireless, stay away from those kind.

for your laptop, you'll need the PCMCIA Wireless LAN receiver (also available from Linksys) and for your PC, you can remain use whatever LAN card you already have (just use the regular CAT5 output from the router to your PC.

The legalities of branching your connection is unknown to me.

IMPORTANT: Please note that some wireless routers are EXCLUSIVELY wireless, stay away from those kind. If you buy those kinds, you WILL have to buy a wireless USB/PCI card for your regular PC as well which in return will cost you an additional US$100 (approx)

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
I concur with David. I'm using an SMC Barricade Wireless Route, similar to the Linksys with 4 additional ports for Cat5 connections, connected to my cable modem. It also has a firewall and printer port so you can print wirelessly as well and have that extra protection. As for cards there are a few out there. I'm running one desktop via Cat5 and 2 laptops via wireless.I was an early adopter to wireless and use a Xircom (before they were bought out by Intel)802.11B PCMCIA card. You can also look at Cisco PCMCIA cards. I also have an SMC card but I found I had better range with the Xircom.

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
If your wife will be getting a laptop, you may also want to look into getting integrated wireless. I just bought an IBM Thinkpad T30 with integrated wireless, so I don't need a card sticking out of it to access a wireless network. The spec for that would probably say 802.11

Linksys has the best reputation for the routers and that type of equipment, and the prices have been coming down too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks