What's new

Pre-Order In Harm's Way (1965) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m actually very excited to see how this comes out. I’ve always loved this film…certainly one of my top ten JW movies. To see a high res BD release would make me extremely happy
I'm excited too as I have it on pre-order, but I'm not expecting it to look as good as "Last Train from Gun Hill".

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I'm excited too as I have it on pre-order, but I'm not expecting it to look as good as "Last Train from Gun Hill".
I hope In Harm’s Way will have a good transfer but with the price point I think you will be right Robert. You have to wonder what goes into Paramount’s decision making. While I like Last Train From Gun Hill and am glad it got a great transfer how does it get such a better transfer than The Sons of Katie Elder? I would think The Sons of Katie Elder is much more popular and will sell more units than Last Train From Gun Hill. Based on this belief if only 1 of them was to receive a great transfer it should have been The Sons of Katie Elder! Now I wish BOTH had received top transfers!
What do y’all think the reason is and do y’all think like I do that The Sons of Katie Elder is the more popular and better selling of the two movies?
Thanks!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope In Harm’s Way will have a good transfer but with the price point I think you will be right Robert. You have to wonder what goes into Paramount’s decision making. While I like Last Train From Gun Hill and am glad it got a great transfer how does it get such a better transfer than The Sons of Katie Elder? I would think The Sons of Katie Elder is much more popular and will sell more units than Last Train From Gun Hill. Based on this belief if only 1 of them was to receive a great transfer it should have been The Sons of Katie Elder! Now I wish BOTH had received top transfers!
What do y’all think the reason is and do y’all think like I do that The Sons of Katie Elder is the more popular and better selling of the two movies?
Thanks!
I don't have any answers for you as to Paramount's decisions. I agree that "The Sons of Katie Elder" is the more popular title and would sale more units, but I'm happy that "Last Train from Gun Hill" has a pristine video presentation. Though, John Wayne is my favorite actor and I actually watched "The Sons of Katie Elder" multiple times during its theatrical run back in my youth. IMO, "Last Train from Gun HIll" is the better film. Both westerns are among my all-time 100 favorite westerns, but the Sturges directed movie had Douglas and Quinn at the top of their game and Carolyn Jones was fantastic in that film.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I've ordered In Harm's Way (fav JW film) and Last Train which, although it's not a favourite western, it has Kirk, and is by John Sturges in VV, so a companion film to Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (which is my favourite western). Hope by supporting Paramount they release more of the good stuff (like Sons of Katie Elder, Houseboat, Teacher's Pet, many others).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I've pre-ordered it. A bit more expensive to the UK, around £16, but I don't mind, I'd just about given up on it appearing on Blu-ray. I recorded an HD broadcast & was quite happy with the picture.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This release will leave only two Wayne titles I want in Region A Blu, Donovan’s Reef and The Shootist.

I have always enjoyed In Harm’s Way and feel sure it will look much better than the DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This release will leave only two Wayne titles I want in Region A Blu, Donovan’s Reef and The Shootist.

I have always enjoyed In Harm’s Way and feel sure it will look much better than the DVD.
You don't want any of the following Wayne titles on Blu-ray in Region "A"?

1. 3 Godfathers
  2. The High and the Mighty
  3. Tall in the Saddle
  4. Operation Pacific
  5. Circus World
  6. The Alamo (For those of us that don't have Koch's BD)
  7. The Long Voyage Home
  8. Back to Bataan
  9. Island in the Sky
  10. The Wings of Eagles

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
They are on another list, LOL. The list of, I would like them but the companies that have the rights more than likely will never release them on Blu. I know Paramount controls the Wayne Estate titles, but past discussions have indicated that the Estate is not interested in upgrades (prove me wrong Paramount). I do wish a 3D release of Hondo.

Reactions: PMF

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Only two out of that list for me, 3 Godfathers (3-strip Technicolor photographed by Winton Hoch) I've never seen it, & the first time I do, I want it to look great, & I'd think it's an obvious choice for a Archive release, & Operation Pacific. It plays out like a B film, but I like it, & John Wayne's leading lady is Patricia Neal, which brings us back to In Harm's Way.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Viewed the movie on the HDNM channel a few days ago and for a tv broadcast it looked good. The upcoming Blu-ray will look better and a nice upgrade to my dvd.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I don't have any answers for you as to Paramount's decisions. I agree that "The Sons of Katie Elder" is the more popular title and would sale more units, but I'm happy that "Last Train from Gun Hill" has a pristine video presentation. Though, John Wayne is my favorite actor and I actually watched "The Sons of Katie Elder" multiple times during its theatrical run back in my youth. IMO, "Last Train from Gun HIll" is the better film. Both westerns are among my all-time 100 favorite westerns, but the Sturges directed movie had Douglas and Quinn at the top of their game and Carolyn Jones was fantastic in that film.
I also like Last Train From Gun Hill though I do like The Sons Of Katie Elder more. Glad Last Train has a great transfer and I hope to get it and In Harm’s Way soon!
John Wayne is also my favorite Actor and John Sturges May be my favorite Director.
How do you rate John Sturges as a Director?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not bad at $16.99 for now and i hope it will have the featurette from the dvd and i hope a fresh new transfer.
I wouldn't count on it and thanks for reminding me that I might need to keep my DVD for that reason. This BD release on June 29th, is more than 20 years after the May 22nd, 2001 DVD release.
Well, our worry about that featurette is resolved as the Blu-ray has it along with the 3 trailers.

My BB order came in the mail today and I watched the Blu-ray in its entirety and it looked fine on my 65" OLED. IMO, this is a much better video presentation than the one we received on "The Sons of Katie Elder" Blu-ray. Furthermore, this Blu-ray has Dolby TrueHD which is a major improvement over the 2001 DVD's 5.1 DD track.

I'm quite happy with this BD!:D

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Well, our worry about that featurette is resolved as the Blu-ray has it along with the 3 trailers.

My BB order came in the mail today and I watched the Blu-ray in its entirety and it looked fine on my 65" OLED. IMO, this is a much better video presentation than the one we received on "The Sons of Katie Elder" Blu-ray. Furthermore, this Blu-ray has Dolby TrueHD which is a major improvement over the 2001 DVD's 5.1 DD track.

I'm quite happy with this BD!:D
My disc comes tomorrow and will check out a few scenes but won't watch the whole movie since i did that a few weeks ago on one of the cable channels.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's on its way to me in the UK. I thought (& hoped) it would look nice, as the HD transfer on UK TV looks very good. The only mystery (to me) is why did Paramount sneak this out as a cheap release, it is The Duke after all (plus a really great cast), I dunno, but I think they would have sold as many copies at a higher price point.

EDIT - It's up on caps-a-holic now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks