What's new

In-ground basketball system recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I decided to go with an in-ground installation, but I'm not sure about a few other choices. Anyone have comments or suggestions about:

Tempered glass vs. acrylic. I'm leaning towards glass; the acrylic boards seem dead by comparison.

One-piece pole vs. 2-piece. 2-piece poles are cheaper -- does it make a difference?

Size. I think 60" is about right.

The Goalrilla systems seem to be top of the line, but are expensive and all accessories are extra (pole pad, backboard pad, halogen light for night play, etc.). I'd like something that will look nice in the driveway and will stand up to years of use, without being overkill. (Goalrilla has a 72" pro system that's almost $3k by the time you're done.)

Finally, has anyone tried installing the concrete base themselves? It seems easy, but I'm wondering if it's worth having someone do it for $300.

Thanks!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you are going with a concrete base instead of a portable unit, make sure you're not going to want to remove it later. We had an old backboard, hoop and pole in our current house when we purchased it. Getting that pole and its concrete anchor out of the ground was very difficult, and then getting rid of the thing was another adventure.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I bought a 54" Hydra Rib system. I bought it because it was a few hundred cheaper than a similar Goalrilla. It's OK, but if I had to do it again, I'd go with the Goalrilla in a heartbeat. Two of my next door neighbors have the Goalrillas and they just seem a little more solid than the Hydra Rib.

The hole was a bitch to dig, and the cement was a pain in the ass too, but I think the in-ground systems look infinately better than those portable units.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks