In-game positional surround (5.1)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Maybe I am a freak, but one of my favorite things about the new consoles coming out is the ability to play games in realtime 5.1 surround sound.

Since I have an XBox that I can't play yet...(waiting till Christmas!), can anyone share with me their experiences with games that are in 5.1? Are the surrounds used for anything besides ambient noise? Do any games make good use of the subwoofer? Can you hear enemies approach you from behind, and does the position of the sound change depending on what direction you're facing?

Has anyone heard whether SSX Tricky for the XBox will feature in game 5.1? The PS2 Version has DTS . . . will the XBox version be the same, or will it use DD?

On another note...

Has anyone who owned Tony Hawk 2 on the DC or PSone played Tony Hawk 2X for the XBox? I am thinking of getting it, but I want opinions. I played THPS3 for the PS2 and I thought it was pretty good, but I'm holding out for the XBox version.

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I am selling my DC copies of THPS 1 and 2 to a lady here at work for her son in exchange for a copy of THPS2x....those new levels are just too much for me to turn down

3. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

the sound is awesome.

The bass is deep and clean, if someone is takling to you and you turn your back on the in halo you can actually hear them shift around the room to the back behind you.

all channels are used for everything. If the waterfall is to your left rear side you will hear it come out there if you face it, you will hear it come between your two front speakers. The only thing is halo does not have a bunch of sound coming from the center speaker which is fine becuase it does a awesome job of imaging the two front ones for center action.

In pgr you can hear drivers come up to your rear left

or rear right, etc..

4. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

5. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

6. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

All Xbox games output in 5.1 -- not all use the full sound field, though.

Halo in 5.1 is absolutely awesome (in fact, it's better than most DVDs, too). Munch's Oddyssee makes some nice use of positional effects, too.