In-floor sub: crawl space moister and register issues

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Craig Treusdell, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Craig Treusdell

Oct 4, 2002
    After buying new furniture and rotating my room 90 degrees, I no longer have the space for a large sub.

I currently have 2 Tumults and 2 PRs. I will order 2 more PRs to finish the second sub if I can find a place for them.

I have two options:
    1. The chair-and-a-half sits in the corner with enough space to get a wedge of either a 5 ft^3 sealed box with 2 Tumults or a 5.5 ft^3 box with 1 Tumult and 2 PRs. I can drape a black sheet over the top of an unfinished mdf box and it is done (but I want to use 2 Tumults with PRs).

2. The crawl space varies between 4 and 7 feet, plenty of space to get a sub in. But there is a lot of moister. I normally use mdf but can use whatever. Is a water-sealer enough? I have thought about fiber-glassing an mdf box, but it's too cold to glass at this time. The other problem is register size/type. I don't want anything to rattle and I want to be able to take the sub out and seal a board under the vent when I move. I would like to use 2 Tumults and 4 18" PRs, but that requires a large opening or a very deep box. What is the smallest opening I could use to minimize noise, or would this be an issue? And what type of vent? Would a simple air return work?

Any other issues I should be aware of? With 2 Tumults and only 750 watts per sub I really don't want to go sealed+LT, since this means either building a circuit or buying an eq, along with a little more power.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Nov 6, 1999
    Throw away the PR's and build an IB manifold, mount the drivers in it. Buy a Behringer DSP1124P parametric EQ. All subs need one of these

See "Cult" link in my signature for more info and pictures