In Development

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JasonHussey, Dec 23, 2003.

1. JasonHussey

JasonHussey Auditioning

I'm looking to buy some new speakers for my system...I don't want to spend like 5000 or anything like that, but still want something that is not a waste of money, like for say around 2000. But thats a soft cap really. Right now I have a Pioneer VSX-D912k reciever, use an XBOX as a DVD Player, and have a 24 inch SONY Trinitron television. Nothing great yet, but w/ potential. I will eventually get a HDTV, when income permits, but right now I am using some Phillips speakers that came with a 250 dollar 'surround system' package [​IMG].

I was looking at Athena Speakers, the audition series, any comments on that?

Also, what should I look for in a DVD player that is going to provide me with the best possible future potential with HDTV

j hussey

2. keith jay

keith jay Auditioning

how many speakers are you looking for? do you need a sub? the main thing to look for in a dvd player to maximize hdtv is progressive scanning and component video output. as for speakers, the usual names that come up in your budget are rockets, axiom, paradigm. good subs are svs and hsu. if you get a good sub, you can use monitors instead of towers and save alot of $$$, you will also require less power if you use moonitors. demo all the speakers you can including some that are above your budget to fine tune your ears. aloha keith

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

For specific recommendations about speakers, let's discuss it here in the Speakers/Subwoofers area. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not specific model recommendations. Thanks!