What's new

In desperate need of advice. Clueless to what I need. (1 Viewer)

Jmart

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
I am soooo lost with what I need for good audio, I've been trying to do some research, but it is so overwhelming that I am having extreme issues trying to figure it out. I'll try to explain what I want basically:

-I want speakers that I can run through my PC & TV (doesn't have to be at the same time, but being able to switch easily would be great). This is my biggest concern here. Cable length isn't a problem since they're almost side-by-side in my room. But being able to use my speakers for my TV & PC is a big thing for me.
-5.1 preferable
-Okay, you ever play Call of Duty 4, or Left 4 Dead, or any game really I guess, and you just sit there? With no music, no moving, no gunfire? There is that low idling hum/howl that you hear? I love that. It sounds really powerful and atmospheric. Like a really slow wind. Do you know what I mean? I want that. When I played FPS games on my brother's THX 2.1 logitech speakers, I heard that on almost everything.
-Something ~$350 or less, preferably

Here's some info on what I have right now:
My TV is a 32" Sony Bravia (About a year old), and has a digital audio out (optical), and regular audio out (left and right), it also has audio jacks (left and right) under my HDMI inputs that I don't know what are for, and a single 1/8th stereo jack audio input under my PC-in. The rest of my inputs are taken up by devices. I have a BUNCH of consoles hooked up (360, PS3, Wii, Gamecube, Xbox, PS2, Genesis, N64) , along with a DVD/VCR combo, I don't know if that matters.

-Would speakers need to take the audio straight from my sources (consoles, dvd players, etc)? Or would it be okay if 5.1 speakers replaced my stock TV speakers? -Do I need a receiver? Or some kind of box to put in all my sources? I know NOTHING about receivers.
I'm pretty lost, and I hope I'm making sense here. What do I need?
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en# I like this, (it's $300 on newegg), but I don't understand what I'm looking at in terms of hardware or specs. Would this work for me? Under compatibility it says "PC/Mac, CD, MP3, DVD, PlayStation®, Xbox®" does that mean it won't work my 360 and ps3? Because they're talking about the last-gen consoles. Can I plug it into my TV too? It doesn't say anything about using these for TVs anywhere. Daaah!

I'm just ssoooooo so lost. I'm usually extremely tech savvy, but with audio I have no idea what I am talking about. Can anyone please give me some advice or pointers?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
It would be best to get a receiver + separate speakers. For $350 your choices are very limited, you could get something like a Sony DH700 + a Yamaha NS-SP1800 from Amazon. Get cabling from monoprice.

You have so many devices that you may need an AV switch in addition to the inputs on the receiver & TV. Probably have to do some creative double usage of inputs on the receiver, like assigning both the PS3 & PS2 to the BD input, using HDMI for the PS3, component/optical for the PS2, and needing the PS3 off in order for the PS2 to work.

The Logitech could be used in theory, but that absolutely would require additional audio & video switchers, and would make hookup & operation vastly more complicated, plus it doesn't leave any path for a future speaker upgrade.

Jmart

Auditioning
Real Name
Jordan
Well, I could probably leave out certain consoles, like the gamecube and xbox 1, maybe even the DVD/VCR combo (My xbox or ps3 could play DVDs, and I rarely watch my VHS's anymore), leaving some extra room.
I'll look those items up you mentioned, but how would my PC fit into the picture?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
If the PC sound card has an optical or SPDIF coax output (perhaps need 3.5mm/RCA adapter), you just connect that. If it doesn't, perhaps you get a cheap sound card that does. Other alternative is to just use stereo analog out, just need a 3.5mm -> RCA adapter. Digital would be best though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks