In defense of Universal...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Rags, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Many have really been ragging on Universal lately regarding their recent problems with Back to the Future, ET, etc.

I just wanted to be a slightly dissenting voice and say that although Universal has certainly had a few speedbumps recently, I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt regarding a few things.

For starters, I too was disappointed that the E.T. Ultimate Gift Set did not contain a DTS track on the 1982 version. This was, however, a forgivable sin. When I contacted Universal via their website regarding this matter, they immediatly told me to fax them my receipt and they would send me a copy of the second disc with the DTS track at no cost. No more than two weeks later, I received a replacement disc in the mail.

At least with the BTTF fiasco, they are offering to fix what it broken. Personally, the "damage" is not enough for me to send in my discs to be replaced (after viewing it for myself), but it certainly is nice that the option is there for us.

When one considers the fact that this studio almost always supports DTS and puts out product with incredible transfers and extensive extras, I think perhaps we should lay off them a little bit. Personally, I am usually quite happy with the product I buy from Universal, and their customer service was top notch with the ET replacement for me.

Just my $0.02 on the matter.

--Tom

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

But they've still committed the unforgivable sin of putting out titles only in pan and scan which were widescreen on laserdisc, as well as "Big Fat Liar" which was a brand-new title. I've heard they're doing the Disney-style format of trailers before the movie now too.

3. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I am still waiting for a cover to my E.T. (2-disc edition). All ads shows it and European version has it. I cannot figure out why the Reg 1 version omitts it.

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Universal is partial to DTS because they & Spielburg helped found the Company which of course has now spun off onto being its own thing.