In Danger of Damaging My Speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JustinP, Jul 22, 2002.

1. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's to replace my anemic Bose AM6 setup. I'm driving them with my old receiver (Yamaha RX-V595 / 70w x 5) and I'm concerned that I might be at risk of damaging my speakers. The speakers are set up in a small room (my bedroom [​IMG] ) and I haven't set the volume higher than roughly -30db (about 10 o'clock on the volume dial). Given the fact that the receiver is driving only the left and right channels and the relative volume level I've given, do you all think I'm in danger of damaging my speakers? Thanks in advance.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

How are you figuring that you might damage the speakers?

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I'm not familiar with the Yammy receivers, but it sounds like you're listening a fairly moderate levels (-30dB and below) so I don't think there's any risk. Especially only driving 2 speakers. If you're even 6dB below the clipping limit of your receiver then you're only using 1/4 of its maximum output. And it sounds like you're more like 10 to 20dB below max. That's 1/10th to 1/100th of max power.

I guess I don't really understand why you're worried. Is there some sort of audible distortion that you suspect may be clipping? If you're worried about a severe impedence problem then you should be concerned about the receiver, not the speakers. And I don't think the Paradigms present a particularly challenging load anyway.

4. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

No, it's mostly just paranoia. I've heard that driving decent speakers with weak amps can lead to clipping which can damage the drivers. So I guess I could afford to play them a little louder if I wanted to. To confirm, then, the consensus appears to be that my Yammie should be able to drive the Dimes just fine? Do you think it's even possible for me to drive the speakers to the point where the amp would clip AND have the volume still be at a tolerable level (from an ear fatigue standpoint)?

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Probably not justin. If you hear any kind of distortion simply turn it down. good luck!

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I doubt you'll damage the speakers unless you play at a volume that is pain threshold for extended use.. Or if you played it beyond pain at a loudness where the drivers bottom out and the speakers distort and sound horrible. I don't know why you'd do that as it would probably be very unpleasant to the ear. I guess I'd assume that your ears will be damaged long before the drivers on those studio 60s.