In Closet Rack and heat

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BenSC, Aug 29, 2003.

1. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I've got a medium sized closet in my movie room that is about 3' x 4.5' with an 8' ceiling. I'd like to use this as a place for my audio equipment but am worried about heat.

I plan on replacing the door with something that has a "window" in it. Just a peice of glass that I can see into the closet. On the inside, I'll have a rack of some kind, I'm liking this flexy rack idea that I'm seeing around. I'd then like to build walls and a roof around the rack, so when the door is closed, you don't see any of the rest of the closet.

I was thinking of installing a fan pulling air up in the roof of the "box". But I'm still limited to the air that is in the closet itself. There will be quite a bit of heat in there, as I use an HTPC to power my system. Anyone have any cooling ideas? I'm not against putting fans between the closet and the room as long as I can keep them quiet.

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I would think a vent of some sort at the bottom of the closet door (maybe just cutting the bottom of the door up an inch or so) and installing some sort of vent fan at the top of the closet and vent it to the attic or whatever is above/behind your closet. (If that will work)

You can use some large CPU fans and slow them down which should make them quiet. Might be able to power them off your HTPC if it has a phat power supply. (12 volt fans powered with the 5 volt leads) I would think Fan(s) at one end (top blowing out) would be enough to suck in cool air from the bottom and blow out the hot air at the top. If you do have an attic above your closet you can install a bathroom type fan with some duct work and locate the fan up and away from your hometheater room to min. noise. Might even be able to wire up a thermostat so it only comes on when the temp gets too warm.

My closet gets warm but I am only running an old pro-logic reciever, Dish PVR and my DVD player so I have not worried about the heat yet.

hope that helps

3. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

You might want to partially wall-in the bottom of the closet, so it looks more like a built-in cabinet. Then create an intake vent at the bottom of the cabinet, down in the baseboard/toe-kick area. Intake will come from the HT room. Your fan(s) should be in the roof of the cabinet, as you mention, but you'll probably want to have the exhaust exit the cabinet, so that the warm air is removed. Otherwise, you'll just be recirculating hotter and hotter air. To increase circulation in the cabinet, you'll need to make sure that air can pass from the bottom to the top through the shelves. Strategically placed holes will do the trick... or you could try to find perforated metal shelving. Maybe the wire/steel shelving at Home Depot would be useful here, as long as you could support the feet of the various components.

I can post a sketch, if this doesn't make sense....

4. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

(Chris obviously beat me to the Enter Key... looks like the 2 posts say pretty much the same thing though) [​IMG]

5. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Great minds think alike mike... good point on the air folw from bottom to top.

6. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Cool. Yea I was thinking of doing a floor based intake, but I didn't like having the fan in the room. However, having a fan just on the exhaust side of things should work out. Also, the perforated shelves is a great idea, thanks!

The only problem now is that I would rather not cut a hole in the ceiling of the closet. I don't plan on being in the house but another year or maybe two. I'll be building the real theater at the next house.

What do you guys think of this idea (below)? I could embed the fans in far enough to not be heard hopefully.

[​IMG]

7. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Another option would be to get a big peice of glass with a hole at the top and bottom and replace the door with just that. Then embed fans the same way. Not sure how that would look tho, and that peice of glass would be pricey.

8. MikeWh

MikeWh Second Unit

I'm not sure how that'll work in the picture--- are you thinking of having two holes in the door that the ducts will just butt-up against, whenever the door closes?

Another option-- My equipment is currently housed behind a "faux speaker cover" (for lack of a better description)... it's a frame of wood covered in stretched speaker grille cloth. It has a set of pivot hinges on one side and touch latch on the other. The back of my cabinet is open to a larger area, behind a wall that my RPTV is built into. (You can see it better on my web page). This allows for some passive air flow, plus I can control all my components directly with their IR remotes.

You could do something similarly, plus add some fans from below, if you want some circulation through the cabinet.

9. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

So I think I've figured it out. I'm just going to take the door completely off, and then setup the rear curtain to cover the edges of the doorway. Then inside the closet, I'll have the tall flexy rack that I'm currently building.

Just seemed like a much easier way to handle things, and it should look good in the end.