What's new

In cieling placement (1 Viewer)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I'm thinking about putting some surround speakers in my cieling. The couch is against the back wall. Should I place them even with the arms of each end? If I get Bi-poles which way should they face?

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
I'm looking at the Def Tech bi polar in cielings. Should I put then where on driver bounces off the back wall or side to side?

mylan

Screenwriter
I am a Def Tech fan and I didn't even know they MADE a bi-polar in ceiling. Seems like that would make for some interesting, if not downright weird reflections since in ceilings sound so different anyway.
I'm off to check out their site again.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I recently re-arranged my media room and had to move to in ceiling speakers for the back speakers. I placed each about 4'-5' out to the side of the main seating area. The speakers I choose had tweeters that were directional so I experimented in where they were pointed. Most importantly I made sure that I went into the attic and covered each speaker with insulation. Eventually I also screwed a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood between the beams so that each speaker was covered with insulation and underneath a 4' x 2' sheet of 1/2" plywood, basically creating an enclosure.

They sound great and I am very happy with the experiment.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Thanks for the help on placement. What about orientation if I go with a bi pole?
AlbertD what speaker did you use?

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I went with Niles Audio HD models. They play great and I have to say I was really surprised as I expected to just find them marginal. The way my room used to be set up I had Triangle Titus 202's as the rears and those are GREAT speakers. But used as rears, those in ceilings sound just as good. I am not saying that they compare to the 202's in any other format, but as effect speakers, they exceeded my expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks