In Ceiling Surrounds

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent Moonen, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Brent Moonen

Brent Moonen Extra

Can anyone recommend some in ceiling surrounds for me? Budget is about $400. Listening is about 75/25 HT/Music.

The other speakers in my system are Paradigm Studio 20's, a Studio CC, and a PS-1000 Sub. Thus, the Paradigm line of in ceiling's intrigue me. When I bought my Studio 20's, the sales guy told me to look at Sonance.

Is timbre matching as important for the surrounds as it is for the mains & CC?

Thanks!!

Brent

2. Brent_N

Brent_N Stunt Coordinator

Here is a bump back up to the top for you.

I also have Paradigms and am considering ceiling mounted surrounds (see my recent thread), so I am also interested in replies to your post. Different "Brent", same question.

3. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

I'm using B&W LM1 for my side and back surround. They blend really well with my Axiom. At first I was going for in ceiling speakers until I found out about the LM1's. the LM1 comes with the own mounting bracket witch is cool, no more bracket to purchase. Some say the price is a little bit high ($300+) but i thought it was ok considering you dont have to purchase a bracket. Hope that helps. Here's a link were you can see my back surround. LM1

4. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I use the Paradigm SA-10R in-ceiling speakers for my rear speakers in a 7.1 setup. I am very happy with the results. I paid $359 for the pair as part of my overall seven speaker Paradigm purchase about two years ago...
    The SA-10R uses the same drivers as the CC and the 20's.
    Here is a link to my setup. The in-ceiling are hard to see but are on either side of the smoke detector in the photos that points towards the screen and shows a good portion of the room.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/28828.html
    Good Luck,
    Mike

5. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

I now have Paradigm Mini Monitors V3, CC-370 V3 and AMS-100Rs as the surrounds. They're a perfect match. I would presume that the Studio surrounds would be a very good match as well.

6. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

NHT has a tri-pole in-ceiling that was my second choice. I have B&W 8" and they sound great.

7. Brent Moonen

Brent Moonen Extra

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm leaning towards the Paradigm line, so everything should match up nicely. I have heard the LM1's and liked what I heard. However, my wife would prefer something in ceiling. Time to run to the store and demo a few.

Mike,
    Do you know the current Paradigm equivalent to your SA-10R's? I couldn't find them on the Paradigm web site. Admittedly I didn't dig too deep though. I figured they were probably replaced with another model, the AMS-100R's maybe?

Brent

8. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
  9. Brent Moonen

Brent Moonen Extra

Thanks Mike.

I didn't look under the reference area of the website. Thanks for the link.

Brent