in ceiling subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DerekCV, Mar 22, 2005.

1. DerekCV

DerekCV Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at installing a HT in the basement of my house. I wonder if any one has even installed a sub into the floor joist overhead? I currently have a drop ceiling and I'm not worried about sound isolation, obiviouly. The area for HT is about 20'x10'8"X7'high.

I just figured I could hide a sub or 2 away and save on the enclosure, where is the best place for a thing like this?

Anyone?

Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There's already a product like that on the market, but it's designed for floor installation. Probaby too deep to fit in the ceiling.

Next thoughts would either be IB in-wall or a "normal" sub recessed flush into a wall.

3. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

4. DerekCV

Well i don't really want to do an in wall sub, and I don't have the luxury of several feet above my drop ceiling to put some of these enclourse that I see here. My thought was just an enclosure that has the speaker facing straight down (or slightly angled) to the floor.. ported, sealed, IB.. whatever works.

5. DerekCV

Is there a negative affect to have the sub higher than all your surround sounds speakers? Any negative inpact? I would assume no, since bass is none-directional and all. But is that somthing to look at when planning a custom sub application like this?