in-ceiling speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darrell Knudson, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Darrell Knudson

Darrell Knudson Auditioning

Due to space limitations, I am considering in-ceiling (or in-wall) speakers for HT. Are such speakers available that could provide reasonable performance??? I currently plan to use a separate powered subwoofer (like an NHT 2I).

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

2. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

ive heard some speakercraft inwalls that sound pretty nice, they have rounds that usually go in the ceiling where the whole woofer and tweeter are "aim-able" they also have some rectangle ones that have an 8 inch driver with sepreate mid bass and woofer..

hope this helps,

l8rz,

adam

3. Ben L C

Ben L C Agent

Whats your budget?

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

NHT, Paradigm and B&W make some good inwalls. But they often don't disperse the sound as well as box speaks

5. Darrell Knudson

Darrell Knudson Auditioning

I don't exactly have a budget - it is more of a pain thresold. I really liked the NHT VS2.4 speakers until the salesman said $400/ea. The pain set in when I multiplied by 5 to arrive at $2000. Adding a subwoofer looked like I could hit $3000 pretty easily. I have since looked for better NHT prices with little success (the best I have been able to find is $350/ea). That's when I started thinking in-ceiling or in-wall (reasoning that discarding the box should cut costs). However, I don't think I will stick with the in-ceiling or in-wall approach if performance is really going to suffer.

Should I drop the in-ceiling idea?

Are better NHT prices available?

Should I consider NHT VS1.4 instead?

6. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

not a big fan of inwall/inceiling speakers...*bluntly* they just don't sound as good...
    adam[​IMG]