What's new

In-Ceiling Speakers (1 Viewer)

Vince_B

Grip
My house is pre-wired for 4 ceiling speakers. Can someone recommend some good ceiling speakers along with a center speaker, a receiver and a sub? At the moment, all I have is a 57" projection TV in the living room. My ideal budget is around $600 to $800, but will go to $1000 if I have to. I will most likely watch a lot of action movies and sports with the system. Thanks.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Can you be a little more specific about the location of the prewired speakers? Are they spaced above you equally? To the front or back, side or rear?

Michael

Vince_B

Grip
Sorry about that... I'm still new to this field and wasn't sure what was needed. The pre-wired living room is open to the kitchen and a small hallway. I would post a floor plan if I knew how. The combined area for the living room and kitchen is about 550 s.f., ceiling height is 9 feet.

The TV is not directly in front of where I have the sofa due to the hallway. Distance from sofa to TV is 17 feet. The pre-wired spots for the 2 front speakers are in the ceiling... 5 feet apart. The pre-wired spots for the 2 rear speakers are also in the ceiling... 11.5 feet apart. I'm not sure how this will affect the sound, but the spots for the speakers are not symmetrical to where I'll be sitting to watch TV. The right front and right rear are in-line. So the left front and left rear ones are offset 6.5 feet in one direction and 17 feet in the other direction.

Hope this helps.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don’t think anyone here would recommend using ceiling speakers for the front. They would be fine for the rear, though. They don’t have to be specific for ceilings – in-walls will work too (although with any of these – ceiling or in-wall – the speaker should be well braced and not supported solely by sheetrock). It would be best to use a ceiling or in-wall from the same manufacturer as your front speakers, that have drivers similar or (even better) identical to the fronts.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks