In-ceiling speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by BrianWoerndle, Apr 13, 2005.

1. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I would like to get some suggestions for a moderate pair of in ceiling speakers. These will be going in the kitchen for stereo music listening (that is the only room without speakers). So it will mostly ambient listening. I want a decent quality, but they do not have to be top of the line. My budget can be whatever, but I had about $500+/- in mind for the pair. I will power them with a pair of monoblock amps, so power is no problem. Any suggestion are welcome.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'll probably be going with some speakercraft in-ceiling speakers for my new house. i'll be using the aim8 (3's & 2's) for my setup.

http://www.speakercraft.com/our_products/aim/index.html

i'v had a hell of a time auditioning in-ceiling speakers. nobody seems to have an adequate setup ... very irritating.

3. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

I'll always recommend RBH Sound. I haven't heard them all, but from what I've heard they are the best. I'm using them in my kitchen and for my HT. Mounting a single dual-voice coil speaker over the sink/work area. It'll have two tweeters so I can still have 'stereo'.

IMO in-ceiling setups are more about concealing the install and making the audio installation 'disappear', and less about sound quality, imaging, sound stage, etc. It's a compromise.

Mike

4. John S

John S Producer

Infinity 210's or something like that. The one's with the larger low end driver in them.

5. John_Stra

John_Stra Extra

I would recommend Dayton audio speakers, they sound good and are inexpensive. I would also use a buffalo electronics volume control.

-J

6. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I had auditioned to some Sonance in celing speakers that were well within your budget and sounded great. I picked up a pair of thier In-walls for the bathroom. Listening is the best idea before you buy though...