In ceiling background music speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jake Gove, May 22, 2005.

1. Jake Gove

Jake Gove Second Unit

Can anyone recommend some inexpensive in-ceiling speakers to be used for background music in a basement? I am hoping to use a single stereo input speaker in 3 small rooms and a pair in another room. What size of room can a single stereo input speaker handle? The seperate room is 10x13, and the rest is an big L-shaped room with a bar on one end. The long part of the L is 24 feet long with a big 8 ft soffet in the middle, so one speaker to the left of the soffet and one to the right, and one speaker in the bar area. Also, when I wire in for the single stereo input speakers, I assume I have to use speaker wire with four wires. Having never used single stereo input speakers, I am not sure.

Thanks.

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Yes- a dual voice coil speaker that you are looking for has 2 sets of inputs.
    If it's just background music, a single speaker in a 10x13 room will suffice.
    As for the others, they'll most likely be fine also.

RadioShack has a dual input 6.5" speaker for about 50 or 60 dollars-it was one of the few products that we sold that people actually liked.

Make sure that when running all of these speakers from one stereo amplifier you use a speaker selector switch to maintain impedance, otherwise your amp may very well go poof...

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

We have used the above speakers in rooms of our church with no problem. Even have a Radio Shack amp thats make for that kind of thing. We can have music running to them all in the different class rooms and even bathrooms and also then switch from the sound board output for the goings on when service begins....

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Check out parts express for inexpensive single source stereo speakers. Better ones will give you better sound.