What's new

in ceiling and in wall mounted speakers (1 Viewer)

DustinT

Agent
hi all-

first time poster here... I spent a good deal of time browsing through the forum, very informative! judging by how complete you all are, this has probably come up before but i have a question...

My house is VERY small, but as we are making due, my wife and are looking for as many wall mounted possiblities as possible. so, on the HT, we would like as much flush mounted as possible, and we are putting either a LCD or Plasma up on the wall as well.

The question... Can I feasibly design a good 7.1 system using two rear ceiling mounts, two mid wall mounts, and two wall mounts next to the t.v.? all these of course "in-wall" or ceiling. the sub being in the corner behind the couch (we have a sectional). we have a rectangular room, and everything is off to one end.

I've seen that both ceiling and wall mounts have directional capabilities, so i'm hoping that this gives a little more flexiblitiy and OK's the idea of having the rear speakers ceiling mounted.

i'm new to this, so if it's rediculous you can point me to some literature...

thanks a ton!

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin,

Your not out of norm. Many people have the same issue.
The audioholics.com website has HT setup tips that may help.

I would recommend that you use Bipolar/Dipole speakers especially in your ceiling (I think even THX recommends this also). They also work well on sidewalls. They produce sound in two directions and therefore a larger "sound field". There are some good names that produce this speaker type.
Sonance is very good for ceiling speakers or in-walls. Bipolar/Dipole ceiling speakers are more difficult to find. There are more names that make Bipolar/Dipole sidewalls. Also try to match speaker construction & materials if your mixing brands.

J

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Doesn't paradigm make dipole in-walls? I know for a fact they do make dipole wall mounted speakers though and they sound fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks