In Big Trouble

Discussion in 'Computers' started by PatH, Dec 31, 2004.

1. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Apr 4, 2004
    I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP Home. This went successfully. Beforehand, I had archived everything I needed to CD-R using WINRAR (I had large files). When I tried to recover everything, I've received CRC errors and am stopped.

When I say everthing, I mean everything, emails, downloaded programs, password files--everything.

Additionally, I reinstalled Firefox and Thunderbird, but cannot get the latter to recognize my old profile (when I try to select it using Profile Manager it says another program is using this. What other program could be using it?

I have email now because I'm using a new profile, but, ultimately, I'll want to get all the messages I receive from this point together with my old messages. Can anyone help me with any or all of this? I'll pray at your shrine(s) ever after.

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Jul 4, 1997
    Ok, the good news is, with WinRAR even corrupted RAR'd files can normally be salvaged.. just have to know people with the tools [​IMG]

And second, you need to copy the RAR's to a hard drive and remove the read only flag on the files first in order to make sure that it gets going, some RAR are flagged in such a way (solid) that the TOC will need to be uncompressed as well, this will require them to be somewhere that they are not read-only to be workable.

So, here are your steps:

(1) Copy RAR's to a folder on your hard drive, select them, and remove the "read only" flag
    (2) try WinRAR and see if it can access them.

(3) If still no, you'll need one of several RAR recovery tools, there are plenty out on the net that will help you recover at least some of your data.

Good luck!