In awe watched first dvhs movie!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MarkLaf, May 31, 2003.

1. MarkLaf

MarkLaf Stunt Coordinator

I watched U-571 Dvhs on my samsung hdtv and my jaw dropped at the picture. Then comes the sound and it was even more amazing! I hope this format stays for a long time! It was the most enjoyable experience in my home theater since monster inc on DVD!

Mark

2. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't count on the format lasting. Once they get HD DVDs, no one is going to want to invest in magnetic tape that degrades so much faster.

3. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

yeah, DVHS is only around until HD-DVD comes out. The question is, how long with that be? It certainly will not become a mainstream product until a good portion of the population have HD-TVs. I can see that being 10 years yet.

So DVHS, I am betting will hang around until that time as a tiny, tiny niche format, that few people know exists, and fewer still care.

4. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan, some company is working right now on a HD DVD that will play normal on regular players and HD on HD players/TVs. From what I hear, it will be out next year.

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I want HDVD now. But all indications are that it's going to be a while.

educate yourself

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

And, for goodness sake, let Mark share his enthusiasm for the picture quality he is enjoying without this turning into yet another stupid tape-bad/disc-good "discussion." Save your anti-D-VHS diatribes for a thread that allows for it.

Congratulations on the sensational picture, Mark.

7. MarkLaf

Thanks! I was waiting for a new unit the 40000 but I got a great deal on the 30000 so I bought it just something to add to the collection like laser discs. To me the only thing that compares to dvhs are a couple of the superbit dvds that I own.

Mark

8. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

Congrates Mark! It's always a thrill to find something new that really shines.I have never seen a DVHS tape,how did it differ from a standard (decent)DVD??, if at all.

Greg

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    the difference is huge!!

Just consider 7.5 mps of data transfer vs 28.2 mps!!

10. MarkLaf

In my opinion to my eyes it blows dvd out of the water the differnce was like going from beta to dvd or even vhs to dvd! Even though the sound tracks are DD 5.1 they rival the best DTS in my opinion!

I am open to anyone in the area that is interested in viewing it setting up a date and I would be pleased to let them watch a movie!

Mar

11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Congratulations, too, on the great picture, Mark.

While I have not yet made the move to DVHS (and I am resisting it because I have so many other things on my plate while waiting for the inevitable HDVDs) I do have a full blown HDTV set-up and source material via The Dish Network.

I find that when done right (which is most of the time) the HDTV broadcasts and movies are quite significantly better than my standard DVD. I've even run some A/B tests watching the same movie on both DVD and an HDTV broadcast at the same time. On a 110" screen with front projection the difference is quite noticeable with, of course, HDTV movies winning.

Assuming that you've seen the comparison between HDTV broadcast source material and standard DVD, how would you compare this difference to the difference between DVHS and standard DVD? Are we talking about the same magnitude of picture quality difference here? Or to put it another way, how would you compare DVHS to good HDTV transmissions regarding picture quality? I'm just curious, and it's always best to ask an actual user rather than a theorist.

(BTW, I'm in total agreement with Jack regarding keeping this thread on focus and not making it a "Tape vs. Disc" discussion. Yes, I know all about the Laws of Entropy, and I generally resist tape media where other alternatives exist, but that's not the focus of this thread.)

Enjoy the show!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. MarkLaf

hdtv vs. dvd I would say that it is the same magnitude of difference in picture quality. I have seen both on a pioneer elite flat screen. While yet I am still waiting for my hdtv box from comcast. I would compare dvhs and a good hdtv broadcast to be very similar in picture quality but not in sound. I have found that dvhs in my opinion is better than alot I have heard. Though I do not by any standard have a superb home theater I have want I want for now and it does its job. For reference here is what I am using!

Samsung 30" hdtv TXM3097WHF
    Denon DVD 900
    JVC DMU30000 DVHS
    both straight into tv
    Onkyo txsr600

video is AR Master and Pro series 2
    sound in all fiber optic into reciever

Mark

13. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I suspect Mark is enjoying the hell out of the awesome D-VHS picture while folks bicker about HD-DVD. [​IMG] I've seen D-VHS in action (X-Men) on an LCOS projector... WOW talk about a sharp and smoooth picture. It was compared to the DVD as played by a well calibrated HTPC, and while the DVD looked very good the D-VHS was clearly superior.

I'd liken D-VHS to Laser Disc. Both formats are niches for enthusiasts, with few rental options but better quality for prerecorded material than available elsewhere. D-VHS machines have dropped significantly in price, and given the expected 3-4 years before HD-DVD is actually introduced, I'd say it's a very viable option for those interested in the best quality movies for their HT. Plus it's the only way to record and archive HD material.

14. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Paul,
    At your local CC the DVHS JVC is setup w/ firewire into the Hitachi 65inch XWX. At one time it was on the Sony Grand Wega. It looks fantastic. It appears better than/ equal to HD OTA.