What's new

In America -- May 11th (merged) (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty readily available; note that Sheridan co-wrote the film with his two daughters. I saw the movie at the Boston Irish Film Festival last spring, and Sheridan was in attendence. As he put it, the actual details when he came to NYC were "far madder", and some things were changed around (I gather his brother, rather than his son, had died, and Mateo was a flamboyantly homosexual actor as opposed to a West African artist), but that the basic events, down to E.T. being his daughter's favorite movie, are a pretty much direct take from his life.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Very interesting.

Just a really beautiful film.

This will be another one of those "sleeper"
DVDs that will be a HOT TOPIC amongst the
Internet discussion forums.

I plan to promote this quite aggressively
and I expect many people will end up buying
this one blindly.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Worth noting that Rewind gives the nod to the R2 for being uncut. Checking in with IMDB, apparently the film was trimmed in the US to get a PG-13.

The UK version will be out before the US. I wonder how much was trimmed?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There's a rather intense sex scene
in the middle of the film. It's full
of quick cuts that hides any nudity of
Samantha Morton (who is very good on
the eyes).

I would definately opt to buy the R2
version if it contained an uncut version
of that scene.

How much longer is the running time on
the R2 release?

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Ron,

Is there a Jim Sheridan commentary track on the screener you received? If so, does he provide any insight into the "truth" behind the screenplay?

Rob

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The DVD I received is an early marketing screener
designed to give retailers an early look at upcoming
product.

It is not representative of the final release, therefor
there are no supplemental extras on the disc. This is
simply the movie and a few forced trailers of upcoming
Fox product.

I will say that even though viewers are warned that
audio/video are not final, the anamorphic transfer was
gorgeous.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Sorry to start a new thread but I couldn't find the review anymore. I just wanted to say I agreed with the reviewer or whoever said make you see this movie. It was an absolutely fantastic film, and the kids were incredible. Everyone should at least check this movie out.

(Admin note - merged with existing thread on "In America")

DanaA

Screenwriter
I saw it too. Wanted to post, but couldn't find a thread. Rented it at the same time as Monster and 21 Grams, both fine films and critically lauded, and liked it the best of them all. Just an amazing piece of film work with stellar acting by all.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I finally saw this movie last night, and I found it thoroughly enjoyable. The two child actors were simply incredible; I'm sure they have a good future ahead of them. I wasn't surprised to learn they were sisters, as there was obvious chemistry between them. Without giving anything away, the final scene with the 10-year old just staring at her father was an excellent example of her acting ability just in her constant eye contact.

This morning, I listened to the commentary track. Not surprisingly, the director gets quite philosphical at times, as the film tells his own story. As noted above, he lost a brother as a child, and trying to recover from the loss of a child is one of the subplots of this movie. Clearly this is a very personal work from Jim Sheridan.

I didn't find the character of Mateo as a distraction, as I felt that it added to the story. The Halloween scene was particularly touching.

This film is definitely worth consideration, even if it's not the latest blockbuster.

Steve K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks