What's new

In America -- May 11th (merged) (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The info available so far from DVDFile:

I'm looking forward to this one; I thought it was one of the very best movies of 2003. Looks like it'll probably be a nice SE package with the special features.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
best movie of 2003, and one I'll go to the store to get instead of waiting for a shipment from an online company!

Greg Madsen

Second Unit
I can't wait for this one! I am glad I just went all region as Region 2 gets this in a couple of weeks.

Guy_K

Second Unit
That is horrible, especially considering the beautiful poster. At least there's always DVDCA.com for customs.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that cover art is very underwhelming. Down there with the cover art I've seen for The Great Escape SE coming out around the same time. Oh well, at least we're not buying these discs for the cover art! :)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
That R2 cover is almost as bad.

The poster art is gorgeous; it's a shame they didn't use it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

Can you tell me a little about this film?

I have heard very little about it, and there's
a lot of "buzz" surrounding its release.

Thanks

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Holy Toledo, that R1 cover art is bad, and the R2 art isn't much better.

Michael_EC

Stunt Coordinator

It's the latest movie from Jim Sheridan. It's at the very least semi-autobiographical, written by Jim and his daughters. It's about an Irish family trying to get over a family tragedy, moving to NYC and the life they build there. It's told mostly from the perspective of the 2 daughters.

It's still easily my favourite movie I've seen so far this year (it only opened around here in early January). Some people find it a little too sentimental, but I found it very moving.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

That's one of the issues I had with the film. Nowhere near as sappy as most hollywood productions, but this one aspect kept it from being a must buy in my opinion.

It's a good film with some great performances though, so I do recommend a rental.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
If there's so much buzz, how could you have heard very little about it? :)

It's a wonderful autobiographical film by Jim Sheridan, filled with excellent performances. I disagree with any charges that it's too sentimental; I think part of what makes it such an achievement is that the Sheridans (Jim co-wrote the script with his daughters) are able to get the kids' point of view without it being saccharine.

And, hey, it's still out in theaters. No better way to find out whether you want to own the DVD than getting out of your living room and checking it out.

I agree with the above. I found it magnificent and not sentimental at all, which was pretty amazing considering that 99% of movies that cover this sort of subject matter end up pretty maudlin. The sisters who played the daughters absolutely blew me away - some of the most naturalistic performances I've ever witnessed. I can't wait for the dvd to get more insight into the Sheridan's real story as well. Easily one of the best of the year for me.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't crazy about the sub-plot involving Djimon Honsou's character, which I thought was kind of trite in parts (though I love the scene where he first interacts with the girls). But I was blown away by the main story of the family when it just focused on them, as most of the movie did.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
If anybody's wondering about the original poster that others have mentioned, follow this link for what the cover art clearly should be, instead of what it's apparently going to be.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
A few details on the extra features from The Digital Bits:

Looking forward to the Sheridan commentary, that should be great. I wonder what the alternate ending will be about? I think the ending they went with is one of the best parts of the movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just received a screener copy from Fox earlier
today and immediately took an opportunity to sit
down and watch this film based on your recommendations...

Wow!

Don't quite know what to say about this amazing film.

I spent the last 90+ minutes just lying across my
couch, soaking in this story of hope, friendship and
love amongst an immigrant Irish family and their
friend Mateo.

All of this film seems so real as if it's not being
acted out, but happening right before you.

Certainly one of the best films I have seen as
of late. How did this film not get a Best Picture nod?

It also seems, from the film's final dedication,
there is some truth in what is being told on screen.
Would love to know the background of this movie.

This is a film I will be hyping up once it gets
released to DVD. I will make it my mission to make
certain everyone purchases or rents this film.

Just incredible! Thanks guys for bringing this
one to my attention. Without doing so, the screener
may never have gotten watched.

Phil L

Supporting Actor

Jim Sheridan's brother died when he was a child. I don't know if they were immigrants.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks