1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

In Absentia DVD problem

Discussion in 'Music' started by DustinTaj, Jul 31, 2004.

1. DustinTaj

DustinTaj Stunt Coordinator

Hi all. I recently ordered Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" from Amazon.com. I've been looking forward to getting it for a week. I finally got it today, popped it in my DVD player, and was saddened to find that it won't play for some reason.

I have a Toshiba SD-4109x DVD player. It's never had a problem playing any other original-content disks, so I wonder what the problem is with this one. Is it the DVD itself, or something in the way it's encoded that confuses my DVD player?

I don't have another player to test it out in, so I'm coming to you all for some input. I bought the DVD based on feedback from members here. I really want to experience this in surround sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-DD

2. DustinTaj

Well, here's what I'm noticing. The DVD, when put in, says "loading." About 3 seconds into "loading," the DVD indicator comes on and the disk speeds up, as if it's searching for something. It then slows down, and just sits there saying "loading" the whole time. So, the player seems to be recognizing that it's a DVD and appears to try and find the correct title / track, but for some reason either can't find it, or can't read what it finds, so it does nothing. Does this mean it's a firmware issue, as others have reported with their DVD players? I've been looking into this all day and really can't find much that helps. I hope you all have some ideas. I was hoping to not have to buy a new DVD player for another year. Thanks again,

-DD

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Well, based on the glowing reviews, I don't think the DVD is flawed, though it's always possible that there was a bad batch. Did you look at the DVD itself? I've had problems with rented DVDs that are scratched or have gook on them. Do you have access to a computer with a DVD drive that you could try it on? Or even a Playstation 2? If not, I'd find a friend that can test it for you. Good luck, and I hope you get to listen soon - it's well worth the wait!

Chris

4. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

My first DVDA player was a Toshiba SD-4700. It would not play some of the early DVDA discs (searching....searching). It was one of the first DVD Audio players, so that may explain the disc reading issues. Dustin, the problem you described sounds like the player does not recognize the disc. I had the same issue with my Toshiba. I wish I could offer more help -

Dave

5. DustinTaj

Thanks, guys. I did find time to take it to a friend's house, and it DID load and play there. So, it's pretty obvious to me now that it's a player issue. Bummer. I was wanting to get a new DVD-A / SACD / everything player sometime next year, and was wanting to save some money to get a high quality one, but looks like I'll be cutting back on the old honeymoon money and getting one sooner! haha (don't tell the wife-to-be!).

So, I'll be posting in the appropriate section sometime shortly with my multitude of questions regarding the best multi-funtion DVD player to get (I hear Denon makes a killer one for around $1,000...about twice what I ever wanted to pay).

So, thanks for your time all...looks like it's my player. [​IMG]

6. AricB

AricB Second Unit

the new pioneer 578? can be had for about $150, its tough to beat for the money. especially if your on a budget, planning a wedding. [​IMG]

7. DustinTaj

Sorry guys, I hate to bring this from the dead, but this disk doesn't play in my buddies playstation 2 either. Is it something in the way it's encoded that makes it only playable on newer DVD players? If so, that sucks.

So, thus far we have 2 "no-play's" and 1 "play's" No play's: playstation 2, Toshiba SD-4109x. Play's : sony something.

Hmm...

There is one scratch on the outer edge of the disk, but I don't see why that would cause a problem. It's from the outer edge of the disk to about 3/8 of an inch (towards the center) and about 1/2 inch long. I figure it's out of the data part and it came like that, so it must have passed some quality inspection along the line somewhere.

-DD

8. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Given that noone else on this board has reported a problem, I doubt that it has encoding or compatablitity issues. I will try to test it on my PS2 at home and let you know how that goes. You may want to exchange it for another copy and see how that goes.

Chris

9. DustinTaj

Yeah. I'm in contact with DTSentertainment. They are looking into this for me as well. I've contacted amazon and they will exchange it for me.

If anyone can test it on their PS2, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

-DD

10. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I may be able to do it tonight, if I remember when I get home. i have a PS2, JVC dvd-a, and a sony sacd/dvd player, i will try the other 2.

11. DustinTaj

Thanks. I'd appreciate it. If anyone else could do so as well, it would be great.

-DD

12. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

You may be on to something here. When I put it into my PS2, it said "Please enter a Playstation or Playstation 2 disc". I tried two other DTS DVD-A's. Queen: A Night at the Opera came right up to the title screen, and Sting: Ten Summoner's Tales launched the PS2 audio player (the little cubes with numbers on them). I can't remember if that one has any video to it, but if so, it wasn't recognized. At any rate, my copy of In Absentia doesn't appear to work on a PS2 either. Never had a problem with it on my Panasonic RP62 though. Hopefully DTS will be able to help you out.

Chris

13. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I didnt forget, I was at the cure concert last night got home late, will try to check tonight.

14. DustinTaj

Reviving this from the dead. LOL. Since finances have prevented me from updating my DVD player (The Denon DVD-A/SACD player I want is out of reach right now), I've been stuck since I bought this DVD without being able to hear it / watch it.

Well, it still doesn't work but I figured out a way to make it work.

I recently built a new computer and I installed an NEC DVD-burner when I did so. I backed up my first DVD - The incredibles (which is an incredible DVD by the way) and got the "backup bug" or something. It made me wonder what would happen to that Porcupine Tree disk I could never get to play.

So, I backed it up. Low and behold, when I put it in it loaded up just fine. Well, it doesn't have the DVD-Audio portion of the disk, but I can't listen to that right now anyway, and when I get a new DVD player I can use the original disk to listen to the higher quality version.

For now, I'm just going to enjoy the surround mix I can finally hear! I'm so happy!

I wonder why backing it up made it readable.

hmm....

-DD