What's new

in a word...yes (1 Viewer)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
if you are a yes fan you should buy this boxed set it puts the yesyears set to shame.to me it's the best sounding yes set that i have heard imho.

Paul D Young

Second Unit
Dear Kevin,
How many discs is it? I just bought the two disc Yesstory and I haven't even listened to it yet.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ooh, goody, another Yes thread. :)
Is there anything on this new set that isn't on albums?
Btw, the other day I picked up a copy of Beyond & Before, old pre-Howe BBC recordings. Cool stuff, especially the Beatles cover, Every Little Thing.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
It's 5-CDs, and there's maybe 10-15 minutes of stuff that's not previously released. I have the YesYears box and that's good enough for me. The unreleased stuff I also have (bootlegged) and it's really nothing special, mostly outtakes from the GFTE/Tormato/Drama era.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Heck, most of the stuff from YesYears is Going for the One outtakes, too. How much extra stuff do they have from those sessions, and how much do they think we care??

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I want more live stuff circa Close to the Edge!
I have the YesYears set, but I'll probably get this one too because I like 'em too much! :)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
the dvd of yessongs is not as good as it should've been[no 5.1 soundtrack]

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
yessongs was recorded quadrophonically btw[makes me wonder why they didn't at least make the dvd 4.0]

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
the extremely poor quality of Yessongs' original audio elements
That's your opinion! :D
I *still* think that this is one of the better live albums ever put out. Combination of sound quality, musicianship, song selection, pacing, improvisation, passion, invoked emotion from the listening, etc...

MichaelAW

Second Unit
I think he's talking about the Yessongs video, which is terrible (in audio quality, not in performance!). It's also not a complete show, just an hour or so long.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Please excuse my lack of clarity. I am indeed referring to the sound quality, not the quality of the music or performances. Yessongs is a must-have live album, one of the greatest ever, but the quality of the sound in the film is awful, and honestly the album isn't much better. But live albums in general from the early 70s sound pretty rough in general. Listen to ELP's Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends. It sounds like a darn bootleg.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
what you're hearing on welcome back my friends to the show that never ends is a quad mix heard through stereo speakers btw[never was a true stereo mix]

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I almost never use DSPs, but the only way I can make the Yessongs DVD sound even barely acceptable is to use the ARENA mode on my processor. There's no way to help the video, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks