Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

In a Valley of Violence Blu-ray Review

invalleyoviolencetop-1024x576.jpg

Ti West’s In a Valley of Violence succeeds in spite of itself, a revenge western with just enough atmosphere, action, and clever banter to balance the routinely written and performed cardboard characters, awkward staging and pacing, and simplistic narrative.

[review]
Read more.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
What a wacky bit of business this film is. Set-up like a very traditional western there are several elements introduced that twist this into something odd and different.

First, I have to say the tone of this film is, intentionally I would say, all over the map. From typical western beats, to little nods to the Spaghetti West, to over the top comedy that I think may have been a nod to Tarantino, mixed with what seem to be honest dramatic moments…you never really know what this film will throw at you next. While at the same time seeming to be inviting a little comparison to our modern social/political dilemmas.

I enjoyed it as the performances are quite good if often very odd. Both Hawke and Travolta seem to really be enjoying their roles and get more out of them than was maybe on the page. While James Ransone gives a performance that seems intentionally pitched at high comedy. Hawke comes across as if he is mostly doing Clint Eastwood…and does it well too…while Travolta almost seems to be channeling Orson Welles in his effort to create a sort of slimy ethically indifferent western lawman. Oh yeah, and as all other reviews note, the dog in the film is excellent.

So, what will you think of this one? I think there are things here that Western fans will enjoy and also things here that will annoy them…so your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks