In a Pickle, JBL Studio Series Phased Out....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Doh, Oct 11, 2003.

1. John Doh

John Doh Stunt Coordinator

I contacted JBL and asked why I couldn't find the detailed info on the Studio series speakers like there used to be. The reply said that they are phasing out the current Studio series products and replacing them with a more expensive line. They said that JBL is moving to the Northridge E Series to replace what was formerly the Studio home line of speakers. After looking at a few of the Northridge E series speakers, they don't seem to be as spunky as the former Studio series. I was going to buy the Studio series S36II's with a S-CenterII center channel. It appears the E series equivalent is the E10 for the front and surrounds and the EC25 or EC35 for the center channel. Looking at the specs on the E series speakers vs. the former Studio series, I'm thinking the E series kinda sucks in comparison.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Should I try and scoop up some S36II's and a S-CenterII before it's too late, or go with the Northridge E-series? Thanks!

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Being a Studio series Owner, I think both Studio and Northbrige series are very good speakers for the money. I was hearing that the E series will be better than the normal Northbrige but infirior to the Studio, but this is just speculation.

I think you should go and audtion the new E series, and found for yourself if like them. But I think you can get great deals on studio now. But most retailers dont have them in stock.

I really like to see a better series by JBL to compete with the upper market, but not that expesive like their TiK.

3. Bill_Wil

Bill_Wil Stunt Coordinator

If you really like the studio series speakers, like I do, and you're not that thrilled about the E series then head to jandr.com and order some studio series speakers CHEAP like I did. [​IMG]

4. John Doh

Bill, I was thinking of doing just that. Although I haven't seen the prices drop on the studios yet ($199/pr for the S36II's and $179 on the S-CenterII) I may still go get'em. So is your opinion that the E-series will not sound near as good as the Studio series?? Thanks!

5. Bill_Wil

John,
    Just last week I ordered the S-centerII from b&h photo for $139 and I got it in 2 days. They also have free shipping like jandr. Heres a link...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=245293&is=REG

Either add to cart or click "give me a better price" for the sale price.

The prices at both of these sites (b&h, jandr) go up and down every week depending on the amount of inventory. Yesterday I ordered a pair of S-310II's for $349/pr. I liked these speakers when they were being sold for over $500 (list price $760) not too long ago so to get them for this price was awesome.

Sorry but I havent listened to the E series so I cant give my opinion as to how they compare.

6. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

bought mine from J&R and had them match B&H's price on the S-Center. add free shipping and you can get a great deal.

S312ii $250ea
    S36ii $200pr
    S26 $150pr
    SCENTER $140

then i got a little crazy and bought an SVS PB2+ to add a little punch. i got the S312ii's so i could listen to 2 channel and still fill the room with bass.

7. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What will replace the Studio Series?

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

My local Best Buy already has the E-series. I heard the E30 (I think that was the model number, but it was definitely the largest E-series bookshelf speakers) powered by a Yamaha receiver and they are excellent. In beech-color (available special order) and on sale for $238.00/pair. Can be bi-amped or bi-wired. I owned the S-26, and this new E-series bookshelf is soooo much better.

Didn't listen to the floorstanding speakers though.

[​IMG]

Here's the link to the new E-series at JBL.

9. John Doh

Kenneth,

JBL told me that the former Studio series will be replaced with a more "Expensive" (as they put it) line of studio speakers. I took this to mean that they are not going to keep the budget minded consumer in mind like the former studio series. They said that the E-series Northridge line is merging the former Northridge and former Studio series line into one. Basically from what I have read, it upgrades the old Northridge line, but takes a little away from what the former Studio series line offered. This sucks, I know.
    To solve my dilemma, I just ordered a pair of S38II's, a pair of S36II's and a S-Center II center channel from JandR. They matched B&H photo's price on the center and I feel I got a great deal. Especially since these speakers won't be around for much longer. Hope this helps!

10. Bill_Wil

Hey John,
    Nice choice in speakers. I think you'll love those S-38II's. I always thought they sounds awesome. Great bass for bookshelf speakers. Although calling them bookshelf speakers is kind of a stretch since they're so HUGE. haha Hopefully you have some good sturdy stands for them. If you dont already have stands and you're going to be buying some make sure you remember that the s-38's sit in the horizontal position so choose stands accordingly. Good luck with the new system. Let us know how you like them after they're all set up.

11. John Doh

Ouch! Bill, I was planning on standing the 38's vertical to get as close to my center channel height as possible. Is the bottom of the 38 unfinished? If so, I guess I will be looking for some new stands. Thanks!

12. Bill_Wil

John,
    You can stand the s-38's vertically if you want but they recommend that you use them horizontally. I think the soundstage and imaging is improved when you use them horizontally. You'll have to decide which way you prefer.

13. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

14. John Doh

Bill,

So are the S38II's finished on all sides then? Thanks!

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

James,

I owned the S-26 (these aren't available from Best Buy) for about a year being powered by a Onkyo stereo receiver. Like the S-26, the highs are not bright....warm sounding. The E-30's bass is tight, perhaps even more so than the S-26. While the imaging of the S-26 was quite good, I think the width of the cabinet hindered the imaging somewhat. The E-30 has a narrower front and I feel the imaging has improved by a bit. Given that the E-30 is new and hardly been burned-in, I feel it can only get better. And if you bi-amp the E-30, this speaker could be a giant killer.

I sold my S-26 not because of the sound, but its size. It was quite a large bookshelf speaker despite being the Studio line's baby. I went with Energy's C-1 and these are excellent. However, these are missing a little bit of "soul" with certain music. I remember playing Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" with the JBL S-26 and it was magic.

Also, have you seen this JBL S-26 crossover upgrade thread?

16. Bill_Wil

17. John Doh

Great info, thanks Bill! I think I will be pleased with these speakers!