impulsively bought Panasonic 4:3...need advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Shock, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Daniel Shock

Daniel Shock Auditioning

I thought, stupidly, that I would be able to watch 16:9 DVD's on this television. However, after having it at home I realize that this is not the case. It will squeeze a 1080i signal to 16:9, but not the 480i that is coming out of my DVD player.

I have 2 questions that I hope someone here can help me with.

1. Will a progressive DVD player fix my problem? The manual says that it will squeeze 1080i, but doesn't mention 480p. So, there is a part of me hoping that it WILL. Maybe wishful thinking. But, even if it doesn't a progressvie player might limit the distortion that occurs on such a big screen from the anamorphic downconversion (which is very distracting while watching the opening crawl of Star Wars: EP 1)

2. The manual seems to indicate that a set top box will up convert 480p to 1080i. Do ALL set top boxes do that (including HDTV cable boxes). My neighborhood is close to getting HDTV cable. I ask because I can then keep the TV and wait for that eventuality to fix my problem. I don't really want to deal with an antennae.

Part of me is now regretting not going with a 16:9 set because of this issue. The TV, by the way is a 56 inch. DVD's that are full frame or non-amamorphic look fine. I suspect a progressive player would improve them some.

I truly appreciate any advice and help anyone can offer!!

Thanks in advance.

2. Daniel Shock

Daniel Shock Auditioning

Well after agonizing over it for the entire day and not getting any work done, I called Best Buy and asked if I could exchange it for 16:9 tv. I think I will go with a toshiba.

I'll just have to get used to stretched TV...its worth it if my DVDs look as good as they can look...

3. Kevin Pursey

Kevin Pursey Auditioning

Hey Dan,

I've done/am doing the same as you. I purchased a Panasonice 36" HDTV 4:3 and decided this week that I wanted a 16:9. Exchanging it for a Mits 46 " HDTV 16:9

I want a TV for DVD's and HDTV content. I have other TV's in the house for 4:3 standard TV

Good Luck

Kevin

4. Daniel Shock

Daniel Shock Auditioning

Thanks Kevin, I am much happier having made this decision. I wish I had thought it out more first, but oh well.