What's new

Impulse Buying Blunders (1 Viewer)

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I suppose most of us have surrendered to an impulse buy or two. I have many times. I'm just curious if anyone has bought something, and then later couldn't quite understand why you did.

Example:

I was just shopping the other day(Went to pick up the Usual Suspects SE) and I also picked up three other movies. I saw a couple movies I'd like to have on DVD for $9. I had a little extra money, so I bought them. I also picked up that impulse buy. I saw it, and thought to myself, for 9 bucks, what the heck? I bought Vampires. The John Carpenter flick.

While this movie isn't exactly shit, it's one I'll probably hardly ever watch. Then I thought, if I had just saved that 9 bucks, that's half the price of some others I passed on because I didn't want to spend quite so much. Pretty silly of me in hindsight.

Oh well, has this happened to you, and if so with which movie?

P.S. the two I was glad to have were: The Quick and the Dead, and A Fish Called Wanda--Go ahead and make fun of me.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
There's a few discs that I wouldn't of bought had I seen the film before, but the only one of these I ever bought on impulse was The Perfect Storm - I really do not understand what the point of the film was...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I went on a spending spree last week and surrendered to several impulse buys. Of course, the money I spent wasn't originally mine - I hit it big on poker night thanks to Mr. Kissinger and some other work buddies. Hey pal, you might not have lost that much, but you funded at least half the purchase price of that weird foreign film I picked up! :D :D :D

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Here is a movie I wished I never bought

Down To Earth

I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I was just going to get the Universal Classic Monster Collection (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera (1943), and Creature From The Black Lagoon) from amazon.com but kind of got a little more.
Along with the box set, I purchased Criterion's Notorious and 8 1/2 DVD's, The Circus (Chaplin), and the musical score for Lawrence of Arabia.
It's not really a blunder (all 11 DVD's are excellent, plus the LoA score is a delight to listen to.) but I am out of $230.
I don't think I'll be buying any more DVD's until May or June. :D

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
The Ultimate Space Experience. I bought this for $6 at Zellers for no real reason other than it being so cheap and I thought it might have some good footage and sound to show my system off with. Boy, this was a horrible choice. The picture is total shit and it sounds like one ofthose single speaker in the center of the dash AM radios.Oh well, $6, that a sandwich at Subway.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
The Messenger was the most beautiful film that I will never watch again. :)
Anyway, I picked up The Brother From Another Planet on an eBay whim. While it is a fine film, the quality is pure shite. I always do my homework now.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Oh yeah, here's a good idea: buy a multi-disc set of a tv show I've never seen even a minute of before. :rolleyes:
Oz - The First Season

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I don't buy much on impulse anymore, but in the 5+ years of the format I have purchased these wretched films :frowning:
I will not bother listing bad dvds of good movies. Just the crappy movies.
And Yes I have gotten rid of every single disc on this list!
American Pie
Any Given Sunday
Astronaut's Wife
Better Tomorrow 3
Blast From the Past
Blow
City of Angels
Critical Care
Dogma
End of Days
Excess Baggage
Fallen
Felicia's Journey
Gladiator
Hannibal
Hollow Man
Hoodlum
I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
Mission: Impossible 2
One Night Stand
Opposite of Sex
Palmetto
Phantom of the Opera (Argento)
Planet of the Apes (01)
Quest For Camelot
Return of the Boogeyman
Road Trip
Run Lola Run
Soul Survivors - The Killer Cut
Sphere
Waterboy

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
American Vampire with Carmen Electra..... what a waste...she doesn't even get nekkid. Thankfully only $9.99.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Here are my DVD impulse blunders:
I don't know what I was thinking last summer
Not very Wild Things
Miss sugarcoatedSandraBullockbullshit-ality
I sure had American Pie on my face
I felt like a Hollow Man after watching it
It was as enjoyable as The Opposite of Sex
Charlie's Angels ;)
Teaching Miss Tingle how to make a good movie and failing
The director rolled a pair of Snake Eyes
I wish it had been a Gift
Whoever recommended it to me sure had Cruel Intentions.
:D

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I will not bother listing bad dvds of good movies. Just the crappy movies
I think I'm the only member on this forum who really likes Any Given Sunday. I've seen it bashed more than a few times. I thought Al Pacino was great in this film. It was also nice to see Jamie Foxx in something serious. The first time I saw it, I was a bit disappointed in it, but after viewing it again, I came to enjoy it very much. Oh well, I know this has nothing to do with the topic, I just had to defend this picture.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Satyricon - It dawned on me: I used the term 'Fellini-esque' without ever seeing one of his films

Fellini is very Fellini-esque (i.e gar-bage)

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Hey, Brian Lawrence, I'll trade 70 YEARS OF POPEYE for FELICIA'S JOURNEY.
Damn, just noticed you got rid of all those discs. A big D'OH is in order.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm the only member on this forum who really likes Any Given Sunday.
You're not the only one, Brian. It's not Oliver Stone's best, but it's far from being his worst. Any Given Sunday is a very underrated film, in my opinion.

Remember the Titans- Now, that's a BAD film.

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
They came from Beyond Space.

It was just horrible. I can't even put the feeling into words.

I keep it around as a reminder to make sure I know what I'm getting into ahead of time. Luckily I'm not out a whole lot, cause I think this piece of "wonderful" filmmaking only cost me 7 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks