Impulse buy (Paradigm).

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by elMalloc, Feb 2, 2002.

1. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Hello all,
    You may know me from my HK AVR 120 receiver with philips 6 ohm speakers.
    I just went to my local shop and picked up a pair of paradigm mini monitors and a paradigm CC-370 center for $550. The dealer also threw in 50ft of monster 12G cable for free. It may not have been a deal, I really forget - I used to know the price of paradigm stuff but that was a few months ago when I was thinking about getting them. My change of mind came when I saw progressive scan stuff in their store. The big screens and progressive look nice, but it made me realize my panasonic 27" component DVD still looks decent enough to make an HDTV not worth $1500 to me yet (I just bought this panasonic 5 months ago!).
    I'm going to "break" these paradigm things in.
    Just wanted to let anyone know who helped me out with my receiver, thanks - I hope these monitors make a difference in my listening to movies/music/games.
    My old fronts/center were philips speakers (100W @ 6 ohms) and used pencil lead thin cable. This monster speaker cable is HUGE!
    Thanks for the help friends,
    ELmO[​IMG]

2. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I think you'll enjoy the MiniMonitors. They are a very nice little speaker.

Do experiment with placement. As they are rear ported, I find best results will be guaranteed with a bit of experimentation with placement in relation to the back wall.

Enjoy!

/Jeff

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Great choice, enjoy. [​IMG]

4. elMalloc

Thanks a lot, I'll try to place them well. I can sit them 3 feet away from the wall or directly against the wall..so I will see what sounds good. I was mega surprised at the amount of bass these things put out, the guy turned on the sub and then turned it off and it was still pushing air.
    Anyone know how long it takes to "break" paradigms in? I don't want to start an argument if "breaking" in really works, just what people who believe in it think. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    ELmO

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    my dealer said ~100 hours for Paradigms. this is generally the amount of time needed for any speaker to really open up and play its best. sometimes speakers need up to 150 hours (and in that time they can sound like crap), but for all general purposes, 100 hours of run-time should yield great sound. [​IMG]

6. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

elMalloc

You should thoroughly enjoy what the Paradigm Mini's have to offer. For 14mths I have thrown everything I could at mine either through a Yamaha, Denon or Marantz AV560U/Rotel RMB 1066 combo. With the later giving the best sound. If I remember right I paid $730CDN/$450US(tx included) for the Mini/CC-350. Worth every penny.

Kevin

7. elMalloc

Doyou guys play the paradigm mini without a grill or with it?

How do you guys hook it up? What's the best way to hook up speakers, spade, banana, bare wire or something else? I won't be moving them often so which is the best connection?

Thanks,

ELmO

8. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I just got my mini monitors about 3 weeks ago. They still sound better every day. I use 16 gauge bare wire to connect them to my 2 year old Kenwood receiver (I can only imagine how they would sound with a better receiver).
    I like to listen to music with the grilles off, I think they kind of fill the room better, just my opinion. My next upgrades will be either to a new receiver or a CC-370.
    Excellent buy with the mini's!! [​IMG]
    Paul

9. elMalloc

Hi Paul,

glad to hear you like them!

I'm in the process of hooking them up still. I did a lot yesterday and fell asleep quite early....The CC 370 is HUGE. I mean this thing is large...my philips speaker is a dustmite compared to it. My old speaker wire was PENCIL LEAD thin, this monster speaker cable he gave me is super thick I don't even know how to get it connected to the speakers and receiver? Do I still run the positive and negatives into the holes (when you unscrew the caps) and then rescre the caps onto the bare wire? It seems too thick I don't know how it will fit properly...suggestions?

Didn't try it yet, it just looks like it won't fit.

Thanks,

ELmO

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Yeah, I would try to put the wire into the hole and srew it down tight. If you find the wire to be too thick, you might want to consider getting some 16 gauge wire, which works perfectly for me. You won't need 12 gauge wire unless you're doing wire runs of like over 50 feet, which you obviously aren't since the dealer only gave you 50 ft. I don't think 12 gauge wire would even fit into my receiver, but my receiver is old.

But I would definately NOT use the pencil thin wire you were using before.

Good luck!

PS. When you hook up the wire, make sure the positive and negatives match up on your receiver and speakers!

11. elMalloc

Now I'm confused the dealer told me the logo side is the positive, did he mean on the speaker or the CABLE? Cables don't have a positive and negative right? You can choose either one to go on positive or negative and keep it the same on the receiver and speaker side right?
    Now I don't get what he means logo side, on the monitor I don't see any "logo side" -I just see black (negative) and red (positive)?
    You've helped me do the unthinkable, not be sure how to hook up speakers. hAHRHAHRAHRH. [​IMG]
    ack,
    ELmO

12. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I had the same problem when I first got mine, thats funny. Just make sure that the wire you put into the negative post on the receiver (my wire was silver), you put into the negative post on the receiver. The maroon red wire (pos for me) went into the positive on the receiver and in the speaker. It doesn't matter what colors go where, just that they are matched up properly. The negatives go together and the positives go together.

13. elMalloc

It's all hooked up, it sounds a lot clearer than my old fronts/center and now I don't get that scratchy problem I was having on flame throwing/explosion type noises.

I feel boxy though, even though I have them directed correctly and ratshack SPL'ed. I think that is part of the "breaking" in of a paradigm but I wouldn't know, out of the box it sounds really good to me (for music and movies). It carries distinct sounds much better than my old speakers (like in gladiator I can hear all the horses running where before it sounded like 3 horses mudded together). The bass is a lot more, I can even feel the air out of the woofers on these speakers which I had nothing at all from my old ones.

Loving it so far,

ELmO

14. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Just wait Elmo, it gets better. Try to use them at least 4 hours a day for awhile and they should seem to sound better. Its nice to sit on the couch and listen to music and just smile.[​IMG]

15. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

16. elMalloc

What, the boxiness will continue?

It almost feels more boxy than my old speakers. I should actually narrow it down to the CC-370, while it's very clear, it is sitting on top of my entertainment center because it's so huge it won't sit where my old center sat (the shelf right above my TV). Instead this center sits above that shelf. I can just tell the voices in movies are coming from that "box" above the TV (which is only about 1 foot above the TV though). I think I'll get used to it, since it's a good trade off to me because it sounds much clearer than my old center.

I looped some joe satriani (circle) music and it sounds so good, it doesn't sound boxy at all and very open....

-ELmO

17. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

try putting something underneath the cc-370 (like a rubber doorstop) and angling it downward so that the tweeter points to the listening position. That should help take care of the problem with the sound coming from above the tv.

18. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

19. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

ElMalloc:

In case you are confused, Marc is our resident Paradigm detractor. He is entitled to his opinion of course. But your ears mean more than what anyone says in this thread (including me).

When I got my Studio 20's recently to replace an old pair of JBL micro satellites for mains, the difference was stunning. It was actually a larger improvement to my overall HT listening experience then adding a good sub where I had NO sub before. The front sound stage was amazing. My Studio's were 6 months used when I bought them and were already broken in. I have heard a demo model of the minis which were broken in and they did not sound boxy.

20. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

ElMalloc, wait till you have a good subwoofer. for the meantime, enjoy your new system.[​IMG]