What's new

improving subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I own an inexpensive power subwoofer and I want to improve on it by replacing the driver. I construction seems to be pretty decent, I just someone can recommend a pretty good driver that won't cost a much a a new midprice sub, (other wise I would just get the new sub right)
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
Hi!
You can't just install a new driver in hoping to succeed in getting better performance. It might be best for you to measure the "internal dimension" to you can get a rough idea of the internal volume of the enclosure.
Is it ported?
------------------

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I know that just can't plug in a new driver, I have already have all the demensions, and yes it is ported. I just need someone to recommend a company to look at getting the new driver from.
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
Well since you measured the box, I guess it's time for you to some sims with some drivers, huh? :)
Download WinISD for their database and just play around with the available drivers.
Keep in mind about the port length unless you plan to modify it.
PS: In future, the next time you want help/suggestions, please list what you have done. especially the internal volume and the port length. By you just asking how to improve your existing subwoofer by replacing the driver was just pretty vague without knowing what the "current" sub and its dimensions.
With your latest reply, I guess the impression in that you just want to pop in a driver. But then again, you just stated you already know that, huh?
Anyhow good luck!
------------------

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
thanks for help, I did not mean to be vague in what I was asking, I was trying to submit my questions just as my wife was rushing me out the door to go to the beach. Also thanks for the download info. I have been looking for software to help me design my own speakers. Now with the many brands of drivers out are there any brands that you can recommend.
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
Hey Bill,
Could you have me the internal dimensions of the box and port?
I can give you a helping hand here.
JD
------------------

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
the internal volume is 3742/cubic inches port length 7 3/16 inches, port diameter 2 9/16 inches
------------------

Julian Data

Second Unit
Bill,
What power was the amp at 8 Ohms or 4 Ohms? Also, what was the original driver size? 10, 12, or 15"?
It seems that the enclosure is tuned to 26.8Hz. The net volume is roughly 60L.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
it was a very inexpensive sub and thats the rating that they give but who knows if you can trust them or not
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks