Improving platform bed

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robert_Z, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Our platform bed is not very solid, but I love the way it looks. The support is weak, so I guess the mattress caves in too much. As a result, I get a backache almost every morning.

In the interest of keeping a good-looking piece of furniture, and to keep from buying another set, is there anything I can do here? I was thinking about buying a big sheet of plywood the same size as the bed. But won't that cave in too, without enough support underneath?

I also am considering just layering some bricks under the bed so they can support the bottom of the platform. Any other ideas?

2. brian99

brian99 Auditioning

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Most mattress manufacturers make slim profile boxsprings now. They around about 4" thick. While a little more expensive than plywood or bricks, it may provide the best solution.

Also, how old is your mattress? If it's very old that could be the cause of your back pain as well.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Could you describe the support (or lack thereof)? I have a platform bed from IKEA that has rails along the side, as well as an aluminum support down the middle. It uses pieces of wood connected via some nylon (to keep the wood from moving) and that supports the matress. It could be the lack of wood or old wood in your bed that is sagging?

You can see the "slotted bed base" here

p.s. I'd probably wouldn't use plywood, which even in the thick form probably isn't as strong as a solid piece of hardwood. But you would have to figure out how to mount them to add as support unless you want to go with the brick method!

Jay

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I'd use masonite before I'd use plywood. Any thin piece of wood composite will probably bend under the weight of a mattress and a person or two. What about getting a couple hardwood boards — say ash, maple or oak — and using them as slats instead of trying to cover the whole bottom of the mattress with a big thin sheet?

6. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    I came across this LINK when I was looking into building my own bed. I never did build one but it looks impressive and easy to do.