Improving current sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan Castillo, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

I have a Cerwin Vega 12" DVC ported sub. I have seen a lot of threads on stuffing, and some figures that I would like to know how mine stacks up. Can someone give me internal volume? It is 25 1/2" wide x 13" high x 16 1/4" deep . All construction with 3/4" particle board. It doesn't have any bracing, and I forgot to measure the port lenght, but it is 3" wide inside diameter, and it goes almost all the way to the bottom, so roughly 11 1/2 inches maybe?? Anyway, I like the sound, but wouldn't mind it tightening up some. I have always been a fan of sealed boxes, but since this was a gift, I will live with it and love it just the same. I figure stuffing would help, but seems like you guys figure stuffing by how much internal volume their is.. With the measurements I provided, can you guys give me that figure and how much stuffing? If nothing else, I will learn how to figure internal volume. Thanks in advance

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

hello,
    here is a recent thread about stuffing to improve the sound of a sub.
    wrt net volume of the box, use the internal dimensions.
    then subtract the volume of the port(just whats inside the box, use the outside diameter).
    then subtract the volume of the driver(hard to say but probably close to any other 12"er).
    and then subtract the bracing volume(in your case no bracing to worry about).