What's new

Improving black levels? (1 Viewer)

Jack Spencer

Agent
I have a Sanyo PLV-70 projecting onto a DIY blackout cloth screen. Is there an easy way to improve the black levels? The picture is great and black levels aren't bad, but they aren't great either. I've calibrated with Video Essentials.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

What about Neutral Density filters?

Improve black at the cost of light output.

Regards

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What colour have you painted the screen? You could get improvements with a gray or silver/gray for that matter.

Jack Spencer

Agent
Thank you for the replies. I don't know what Neutral Density filters are but I'll Google them. Thank you.

I haven't painted the screen at all. Just plain blackout cloth so far. I might try a few colors on some of the leftover cloth and see if I like it.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Your projector is a digital projector, and if if you've calibrated it to maximize the possible on/off CR that the projector is capable of, then you're taking full advantage of the projector.

However, if you feel blacks are too bright, using a ND filter will not improve your CR, but lower the brightness overall, lowering the level of black AND white equally. Using a lower-gain screen material like a gray screen can also help in this regard. Note that you will never get completely black, but you can lower the point where the chunk of on/off CR of your projector is, essentially.

Of course, using a projector with a higher on/off contrast ratio would allow you to maintain the current level for white, while lowering the black.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks