Improving a sub

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Billy Posey, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

A have a couple of questions that I hope you guys don't mind me asking. I have A MTX sw2 sub that's not bad but doesn't provide any more oomf than my 10 inch sub. I have thought about replacing the driver for a better one. Now I know many would suggest that I should just buy a better subwoofer which I plan to do but I will still own this one and will still want to see if I can improve it somehow. I have used the selection wizard at the part xpress website and it came up with only a couple of drivers. I'm sure there is a way to find more options to find a driver for this enclosure. Which by the way is (17.5d X 15h X 17w).
    Hopefully I can get some guidance.

Now in my living is my second theater setup. I have a polk psw 202 on this system. At moderate levels the sub kicks, but if I turn it up at all, and I am not talking to loud it goes blaahh almost as if someone let the air out of a big balloon. Is the amp at fault or is it the driver?

2. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

anyone?

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Just buying a better driver will not do much. In fact, it may sound worse. Kind of like buying NASCAR race tires for your Pinto. It sure won't win Daytona and it will probably drive worse than it did with the original tires.

-Robert