What's new

Improved Sirius Fidelity (1 Viewer)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
does anyone with sirius seem to have improved sound quality after that recalibration this morning???

perhaps it is the placebo effect but i definitely seem to have better sound than usual today after my receiver recalibrated to the satellite.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
thanks chris. i thought i was going crazy:emoji_thumbsup:

is there any empirical evidence that you can point me to where sirius shows the difference in codecs it has used in the past?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Neh, they just mention it on Channel 184. (preview channel) don't know much more about it.

Joshua_JO

Agent
You guys are making me jealous, I used to have Sirius and then I got a convertible and there wasnt really a good place for it so I got rid of it. Now I'm getting a new car so I will be definitely getting it again. I can't wait!

Dean_S

Second Unit
I think it sounds worse now then it did last month. The highs are worse the ever but I'm a picky audiophile.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dean,

You are correct.

The new Sirius codec sounds no better than the old.

The highs are more distorted than before. There
also seems to be a lesser presence of bass which has
always been a personal preference.

I'm not saying the new codec sounds bad, but it seems
that the audio quality is no closer to CD quality than
it was before.

In fact, it's still very difficult to tell audio
difference between my Sirius and XM units other than
the fact that Sirius now has distorted highs.

BrianAe

Second Unit
I still think it sounds better but I have yet to hook Sirius up to my main home system. I use it only in my car and on the PC in my office for now.

One thing I do know for sure, I am getting more mini drop outs now. I have also noticed that I get cut off sooner when I go into the underground garage that I park in. I used to get maybe 5 more seconds of play but now it cuts off right away. I think maybe the new CODED is less fault tolerant.

I may have to actually roof mount the antenna on my car. Until now I've been very happy with just keeping it on my dash.

Dean_S

Second Unit
I didn't think about the drop outs being associated with the new codec but I get them all the time on the car system now and almost never had dropouts before. The old way it would occasionally drop when going under certain bridges but now it drops out when on the open road. I noticed it the most on I30 between Dallas and Fort Worth. I used to have only one drop out in east Fort Worth under a set of bridges where I820 passes over...now I get dropouts the entire distance from downtown Dallas to east FTW and then it gets better once I'm close to downtown FTW. It does not drop in my parking garage at home (I park on the bottom floor of a 4 story building just west of downtown FTW).

BrianAe

Second Unit
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one experiences this. I looked on siriusbackstage but couldn't find any mention. I may have to register and post there.

BrianAe

Second Unit
From reading Sirius backstage, it seems that whether you experienced better or worse SQ after the lineup change depends on what stations you listen to. It also seems that they have been tweaking things since then. I haven't been listening enough to tell though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks