What's new

improper calibration (1 Viewer)

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
I calibrate a 7.1 system with AVIA, and more recently with the internal test tones on my MC1, using a rat shack spl meter. I have read that the most common "mistake" is running the surrounds and sub too hot. Well, I've found that to get what I consider good sound, I have to run the surrounds and sub hot. I can see a dB or 2, but my surrounds are maybe 3-5 dB hot, and the sub a little more than that. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound that I'm getting, and I know it's personal preference, I just wish I weren't so far off of a proper calibration...it would just make me feel better :) . Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and intentionally makes the same "mistake" that I am? Maybe, because I like to feel my subs and calibrate those hot, I have to compensate for the extra bass by bumping my surrounds??? I have Klipsch RS all around and twin SVS PCi 20-39 subs.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I think what you have to do is calibrate to reference then just sit back and get used to the new sound. If that doesn't work for you then set it the way you like.

Kevin

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Kevin,
I think that the perfect spot on calibration tend to "sound" better with near reference levels.
Bumping the sub and surrounds could pose several problems at that level[like bottoming subs out,and unnnatural surround coverage].But at moderate levels most of those problems don't exists,or at least much lesser degree.
Oh,and don't forgett that the RS meter is off quiet a bit as the frequency dips down.[avarage 3db 20-80hz,7.5db off at 20hz].

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks