What's new

Impressions of the new BMG and UNIVERSAL DVD-A's? (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
DTS Entertainment dvd-audios have stereo tracks in PCM, many in the 96/24 format. And if I (or their website) is not mistaken, they are all "regular" PCM which means they are playable on dvd-video players (except for some of the very first models lacking 96/24 digital-to-analog convertors). FYI for newbies: when your player displays "LPCM" while playing a disc--any disc--this means it is playing a "linear pulse code modulation" track, as opposed to "PPCM" which stands for "packed pulse code modulation". Or as is written elsewhere "MLP" or "Meridian Lossless Packing" (everybody take a breath now.........:)).

Some Warner and Capitol titles also have LPCM tracks, and all AIX Records & Hi-Res Music dvd-audios have them.

I sure wish 96/24 LPCM was standard on dvd-audio titles--that way more people could enjoy hi-res stereo.

BTW: Universal players are the norm now? In what price range? Because the only one I know of that Regular Joes will even start to consider is the Pioneer DV-563 at $180. The next uni-player available (brand new) is around $400, correct? I am very sure most music fans won't--or can't--buy something in that price range. Then they jump up to about the $800-$1000 range; now I'll bet were talking really small sales figures to music fans/non-audiophiles.

LJ

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Lance,

I've seen both DD2.0 and LPCM stereo @ 24/96K. It depends on the particular recording.

Of late, they've been favoring LPCM@24/96K.

Cheers,

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've got the old Toy Matinee DVD-A from DTS entertainment, and it defintely has DD 2.0 (at 384kbps I think...maybe 448kbps). Very cool of them to crank up the bitrate, it makes a huge difference. Of course I'd rather have PCM but at 384 or 448, 2.0 sounds very close to CD quality.

I also have several DVD-V from Japan with high-bitrate stereo DD.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I guess I was just going on the theory that DTS would not want to pay licensing fees to their rival. :b

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks