What's new

Impressions of the DLS 10 (long) (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
After waiting over a month to get my Tiny Mighty only then to find out that the amp was defective, I have finally gotten around to giving it a good listen and can give my impressions of this true tiny mighty.

At first I was a little disappointed in the sound. Previous to the DLS I was using a Sony SA-WM20. What I soon realized was that what I had been hearing from the Sony was boom, not bass. With the Sony the LFE was over emphasized. The DLS provides for more subtle effects that are in fact easier on the ear and far more pleasant to hear.

My first test DVD was LOTR. The bass in the opening scene was absolutely awesome. The battle thudded and crashed with realism and the destruction of Sauron filled the room with a rumble that was felt in my chest more than it was heard.

Next was a full length movie test of "Road To Perdition". I choose this for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted a DVD that had a great music score and second I wanted something that did not have overwhelming bass. I wanted to test it's overall sound quality without a lot of spectacular special effects. The music score of "Road" was wonderful. The bass notes were clean and full without a bloated feel that I got with my Sony. There were times with the Sony that the bass sounded harsh and really caused a lot of ear fatigue. I experienced none of that with the DLS. When there were some loud special effects like gunshots, the DLS reproduced them with a solid punch with none of the boomy sound that I would have heard with the Sony. When the scene with the elevated subway train played, it was so real sounding that it brought back memories of my childhood living in NYC. The sound of the train rushing by shook the room just like it did when I actually lived it in NYC.

My last test was with "Apocalypse Now". The entire movie was reproduced with a warmth and richness that should not have come from a subwoofer that cost only $100. The helicopter blades had a solid "whump-whump-whump" and the "arc light" scene had a rumble of thunder as the B-52s laid down their ordinance that could "suck the air right out of your lungs".

Overall I am more than pleased with the "Tiny Mighty", I am downright impressed. I find that I can play my DVDs at a volume level that I could not do before and still have good clean sound. In fact I now run my sub 5db hotter than I did before and my wife has not yet told me to turn it down.

The DLS 10 is an amazing value and by all rights should cost three times what it does. I am sorry to see that it is no longer available, but I am sure that the folks at PE will provide us with a suitable replacement.

As a final note I just want to say once again that the PE customer service is second to none. By the very fact that they have replaced my original defective sub amp without asking for the bad one back is the same as getting something for nothing. I have never run across any other vendor that would do that for me or anyone else. PE has my business for life.

Nater

Grip
Nice post. I share many of those same impressions. Parts Express is definitely a top-rate company and they have earned my loyalty as well.

I bought the DLS as an upgrade to a little Aiwa sub that I picked up on clearance from Sears a few months ago. It was only a 50-watt sub, and sold for $90 retail (I paid like $30, I think). I wasn't sure how much difference there would be between the DLS sub for $100 and the one I had, that supposedly sold for $90. But the reviews on this forum convinced me that the difference would be substantial, so I went for it.

"Substantial" doesn't begin to describe the difference. :) I suppose I would compare it to going from a Kia to a Mercedes. I bought an SPL meter and was doing some calibration last night from my AVIA disc. As I did the 100 Hz to 20 Hz subwoofer sweep test, my whole family was amazed to hear 4 distinct parts of the room resonate at various frequencies.

I watched Star Wars II last night, and was very impressed throughout the movie. Actually, the rest of my family went to bed when I was halfway through, so I had to switch to headphones. This happens frequently, and is usually not a problem. But last night, I found my headphones very disappointing after enjoying full, rich sound during the first hour+. I definitely look forward to seeing what this sub can do with some of my favorite music CDs.

Thanks to everybody who contributes at this board and has helped people like me discover this great little sub.

Sincerely,

A Satisfied Listener. :)

MattMB

Agent
Nater,

More like a Kia to a Toyota, rather than the Mercedes. The upgrade to a SVS would be the Mercedes.

I'm quite impressed with the DLS 10", and adding the Aura BassShakers to the mix that PE has right now really add that "big bass" feel at a great budget price.

Ben_L

Agent
Ive been playin around w/ mine for a week and love it. Upgraded from a 35watt Aiwa. Compared to that thing, the DLS might as well be a Mercedes!

I'm also goin the Aura BassShaker route using the 'defective' DLS plate amp. muwahaha! Man i love Parts Express, theyre a Budget HTer's dream!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well Jim I must admit the hair on the back of my neck stood up when I saw your Thread Header. After the first paragraph I was relieved. I think the DLS has made it's showing now. To bad about the Auto function most experienced but PE stood up to the plate in a tall way. I think there service compares to hitting a home-run with most of us.;) __________________________________________
No it is not a Mercedes but it is a "Mighty Little Sub" for $99 and I would not let anyone rain on your Parade. Considering past options in this price category it might as well be> is a valid thought imo Ben._____________________

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks