Impossible to record a show and watch another with only 1 receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Feb 5, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm assuming since you can't watch anything without the receiver, you can't record a show and watch another at the same time. I guess that's one advantage of cable. I could record a show, use the TV/VCR button to switch over to the TV tuner and watch something else. Is this at all possible with satellite with only 1 receiver?

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Only if it's a combination of something on satellite and something OTA or on cable. (ie. recording something from satellite and watching something on a local OTA station at the same time.)

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Generally, true in almost all cases. One receiver with one "tuner" = one program at a time.

However, there are a few "exceptions" to this (assuming you are talking about not using OTA or cable in addition but limiting yourself to satellite.) For example, with my Dish 501 PVR I can record one program and watch another pre-recorded program at the same time. However, if I try to switch channels while recording is going on the receiver will warn me that something is being recorded and if I choose to change stations then the recording will stop.

Also, and probably more related to the original question, there are, or will shortly be, receivers with two tuners in them. For example, the upcoming Dish 721 PVR will have two tuners for true "watch and record" functioning. Be aware, however, that each tuner requires a separate cable to the dish switch. You can't just split the signal from a single cable as you can with cable TV. Each tuner must communicate with the switch (a two-way street) in order to function properly, receiving all available channels.

Hope some of this helps rather than confuses.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I'm new to all the satellite stuff as I just got my satellite installed yesterday, but I think I get the jist of it. So, in my case if its not OTA I want to watch, I'm out of Luck.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

DirecTV receivers with integrated TiVo or UltimateTV can record one channel while you're watching another, or record two channels while you're watching something recorded earlier.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    True, you'd have to wait for the Dish 721 for watching another live feed while recording a program on the DISH. But just a note that like cable, most of the stations rebroadcast shows so often, it's not much a big deal to record one of the programs on one of the rebroadcasts and watch the other one as it is being broadcasts. I do that all the time with Junkyard Wars and some other series I watch. With the PVR, it's so simple to setup a recording, its a cool feature of any kind of PVR, Tivo or otherwise.

Jay

7. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    I am considering going with Dish. And I know very little about dbs. I have read negative reports about the 501PVR. What do members here think about it?

If I decide to use my VCR with the standard 500 receiver, I understand that I'm limited to taping what I watch, but what about time shifting? If I am absent, can the receiver be set to turn on to a particular broadcast at a particular time, so that the VCR can be programmed to record?

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Yes, as long as the VCR can be remotely turned on and controled via the PVR501. It uses one of those IR Blaster and simple commands like Record and Stop and stuff. In the setup menu of the DISH PVR501, there's a place where you setup your VCR and you can test it to see if it works or not. I have a real cheapo JVC VCR and it works OK, but then with the PVR, I haven't used it yet, no reason too for me. I've had the timer guide on the 501 fail once for some reason, the guide was wrong and I lost a bunch of time a movie that was on.

As far as the 501, I bet you must read dbsforums.com, they seem to have a real vocal bunch who despise the 501, including the moderator over there. As for me, I'm happy with the unit, I have had it go black but that was solved by a simple reset on the front panel and everything was fine after that. It has happened maybe 4 times since last July, when I got mine. I've never lost any recordings and I have 2 weekly event timers and I do record stuff about 3-4 times a week, in addition to the weekly timers.

There are some things I'd like to see it done, like the search function that isn't implemented yet and the bug with digital output being broadcast even when the unit is off (confirmed by E* tech but they couldn't give me a timeframe of fixing it)...

It's not the best thing since sliced bread but it works fine for me...

Jay

9. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

10. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Robert and Jay (and anyone else),

If, instead of the PVR, I rent (or buy) the regular receiver (the 500), can I still use my VCR for time shift recording? When I'm gone for the weekend, can I tape a program?

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Bill, hmmm, I'm not that current on the current Dish receivers, never heard of the 500, but I do have two receivers, a PVR501 and a 301, the 301 is very much like the 501 except it doesn't have the PVR and doesn't have a digital output for the audio. However, both of them support the IR blaster option and should be able to control a VCR.
    RAF, cool, bet not many people you know ride Jamis, they're a fairly small and unknown brand!! [​IMG] I just got a Rails To Trails Conservancy mag yesterday with a Bridgestone MTB on the cover.. that's another unknown brand since they stopped importing their bikes around 1997. My steed consists of 4 bikes, a 2000 Santa Cruz Superlight dualie that I ride off-road and race a little on, a 1995 Marin Team Steel Hardtail with a Marzocchi Bomber Z2 shock that I now use as a winter/bad weather commuter bike (I bike to work). I also have two road bikes, a 1998 Lemond Zurich with rear Panniers that I use as a touring bike even though the frame is a racing frame. It's reynold's 853 and steel. And my latest bike is a 2001 custom ti Seven Axiom with a custom carbon Wound Up fork and is super light at around 17lbs, even with clincher wheels. I ride that on centuries and long rides but I commute either on my Marin or my Lemond, depending on what I feel like doing that day, I can ride on some MTB trails to work or I can take the road.
    In fact, the only reason I got my DishNetwork was to get OLN so I could watch the Giro, the Vuelta, and the Tour de France. I've never had cable and had only OTA stuff beforehand, but now I can see cycling (and hiking and skiing stuff in the winter) on TV, yeah!
    Jay

12. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Bill,

Using a VCR to record isn't really time shifting. Time shifting as I explain it to un-Tivoed friends:

I set my Tivo to record a show at 8:00 PM. At 8:20 PM I sit down and press play. I'm watching the beginning of the and fast forwarding through commercials. By 9:00 PM I've caught up with the recording and watch the ending live.

-Robert

13. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    As indicated, I know little about dbs (dss). The "500" is the dish itself. I meant to ask about using the "301" receiver and my existing VCR. So, Jay, I guess you answered that question affirmatively. I was surprised that there is no digital audio output for the "301." Other than HBO and PPV, is there other DD 5.1 programming?
    Robert J,
    I, and others, have long referred to using the VCR to tape a program for later viewing as "time shifting." Digital recording is an improvement on that concept.
    So, RAF, if I sign up for Dish, would you recommend buying the receiver(s), and possibly the PVR, or getting them "free," while paying $5 each month for each receiver? If there are improvements in the receivers, do renters get to automatically upgrade?

14. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Another question about PVR (501 receiver) use. If I wish to record a sporting event with an indefinite length, will the digital recorder know that the program has been rain-delayed, gone into overtime, or extra innings, or will it shut off at a pre-scheduled point? In other words, does the user still program the length of the recording, or does the PVR record a preselected program regardless of length?

Perhaps this belongs in the Tivo subforum, but I really am only interested in the performance of the Dish 501.

15. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

16. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

17. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Bill, to answer your question about a rain delayed sporting event or a baseball game that goes into OT, I don't think it is that smart. In that regards, I think the TIVO is a better unit, it basically goes hand in hand with the electronic guide that's stored on the 501's hard drive. So if you have a rain delay, I don't think the unit is smart enough to compensate, unfortunately.

Like Robert, I'm also renting my 501/301 combo, under the digital "at home" plan and I have the AT150 and no local channels and no premium channels. there's not much basic channels (actually I don't think there are ANY) broadcasting in DD, just the PPV ones, Starz, Showtime, HBO, etc. However, it's not like I don't use it. The digital music they have is not bad and there's no commercials. The variety is certainly better than any OTA FM stations in my area, and you can get Hawaiin music and seasonal Christmas music too and stuff like that...

18. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Bill,
    A couple of more points. It is my understanding that with DISH you pay the $5/month/receiver charge regardless of whether you own or "rent" the receivers so there's no savings in that regard. If you stop the service, the equipment gets pulled (which is why I wanted to buy the 6000, in case.)
    Also, while the 501 is great for TIME SHIFTING, etc. it still is not as versatile as TIVO, etc. You can't search on different topics (yet - they keep promising an upgrade in software) and, unfortunately, it doesn't self-adjust for programs that run over.
    But, even with those limitations I find the 501PVR an excellent piece of equipment and I'd get it again in a NY minute. I'm relying on it much more than I thought I would and I haven't used my S-VHS since I installed the DISH (althoguh I can dump saved programs to the VCR if I want to). Also, the quality of the signal recorded on the 501 is an exact match for the quality of the incoming signal - which is usually very good. Not HDTV recording yet, but that will come later. If you want that now there are some creative uses of an HTPC and some hardware that can accomplish this, but that's out of my area of current expertise.
    Only so many hours in the day.
    [​IMG]

19. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    Jay and Robert,

Thanks for all the information. No need for HDTV yet; I'll be with my 4x3 RPTV for a few more years. Renting does sound better. As I understand the program, there is not an extra monthly charge per receiver, if they are owned. If that is correct, in twenty months of rental, the purchase price has been paid. But in twenty months, the receivers will be obsolete at the rate things are moving in this industry.

Rental of the 501, with two 301s, sounds like the best deal. $150 installed with three months of programming, followed by a committment for nine more months. After all this, I hope the signal is noticeably better than cable.

20. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Hi Bill, glad to be of help, like Robert says, the $5 is paid as a "second receiver fee" and has nothing to do if you own or rent, both will pay that fee. I have mine paid directly from my credit card (at least I'll get Sony points) and it's about $58/month. One thing you do have to consider that it's not like a Lease program, if you decide that you want to keep the 501, you can't, you would have purchase a new one and return the one you have. I asked this to the rep when I signed up and the lady told me there is no "residual" like a car lease. I'd be interested in the next generation two-tuner receivers too!
    Hey Robert, not trying to make this the DBS/Biking thread, but you're in Westchester County, eh? You're not far from some of the best rail trails in the NE... If you're a member of Rails to Trails, if you got their latest magazine, they have the Paulinskill Trail in NJ (Augusta to Colombia, which is from Sussex to Warren cty in NW NJ). I've ridden that trail a few years ago and it's a great trail, scenic and nice... There'a bunch of road crossings towards Sparta, but that goes away real fast and it becomes a nice ride. Have you taken your Jamis up to New Paltz, the Walkill River railtrail is supposedly a great Railtrail. I've ridden my touring bike from my house in NJ up to Monroe, NY which is about 40 miles south of New Paltz. One day I'm going to ride all the way up to New Paltz from my home and camp at my friends place there... I see that you have disc brakes on it, cool, at 23lbs that bike is actually quite light, disc brakes are still a little heavier than v-brakes. My Marin Team is about 22.5lbs but it is fairly old, (1995) and does have a heavy Marzocchi fork on it (Air/Oil). The Marzocchis are bombproof but they're a bit on the heavy side when compared to the RockShox or Manitous of the day. Anyway, this is starting to become an After Hours thread... But keep on riding Robert, like Lance says "It's not about the bike"
    BTW, if you do charity bike rides, there's a great one I did the last time out of Monroe, it's sponsored by the Orange County Bike Club: Here's the link:
    http://www.sussexonline.com/ocbc/CountryRoad.htm
    It's the date from last years but it was a really well organized and very scenic... If you wish and interested, send me an email or PM, perhaps we can hook up then, I'll be on my road bike doing the longest ride they offer, which I think is a metric century (64miles, goes up and over Wurtsboro Mtn which is a nice climb)... Anyway, send me email if interested. it's a fun ride and they have shorter distances and stuff...
    Anyway, I apology for this off topic thread...