What's new

Importing to canada??? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
anyone knows the information about importing stuff to canada on personal level? I meant custom clearance and brokerage.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
CCRA will assess GST and PST, plus any applicable duties. The rate of duty (if any) will vary with the country of origin of the goods being imported.

In addition, you may be charged a brokerage fee (usually about $25) for the costs of processing.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Importing using UPS can be expensive, since they gouge you for brokerage. Not only do they charge you for processing, but also for COD and "advancing" the fees paid. I had a $40 DVD sent UPS, and ended up paying $24 in brokerage and taxes. I've had similar experiences with other low priced items being grossly overcharged for UPS' "service".

Chances are there shouldn't be any duty if the item is coming from the US, since it would have been tariffed on its way into that country already. You can call customs and ask them if there should be any duty or not.

If you can have it mailed, there will only be a $5 handling fee in addition to taxes.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I agree...UPS just plain sucks. I had to pay nearly $50 in hidden brokerage fees to get my Audio Authority SVGA-to-Component transcoder. Grrrr. I HATE UPS.
If possible, try go get FedEx or equivalent courier who will state upfront what the costs will be. You don't want to be surprised.
Don't be afraid to tell the US company that you will not deal with them unless they have alternatives to UPS. Brown-shirts, indeed...the color of sh*t. :)

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
yeah you guys are right, I bought acoustic research bookshelves, and the guy shipped me by fedex and I just paid the shipping no brokerage fee or any other fees, shipping wuz $30 US, I think then I will ask him to ship by Fedex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks