Importing SVS to Canada. Costs???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Krystian C, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

Question to any Canadian SVS owners

When you ordered your subs, did you have any extra duty or border charges to pay upon delivery??? Planning on ording at the end of the month, and want to have a little cash aside if this is the case. Thanx

Kris

2. JohnN

JohnN Agent

Kris,

Here is the story of my purchase which is somewhat dated as I bought my dual SVS 16-46 PC subs about 2 1/2 years ago.

Anyway, here goes… I don't remember how long after I placed the order that it was shipped, but immediately after the subs reached Canada, I received a call from an independent customs broker offering to clear them through customs.

The standard customs clearance fee is a percentage of the value of the goods as declared on the customs invoice as filled in by the shipping company. In this case the broker quoted a fee over $200.

Fortunately the person who called me explained that I could do the customs clearance myself and save most of that money with the cost to me being mostly just the time involved in going back and forth between the government customs office and the broker which was next to where the subs were.

The details:

1. Go to the location where the goods are held and have them make you a copy of all the customs documents that came with the shipment.

2. Take all these documents to the nearest customs office(open between 10 am and 3 pm)

I don't remember all the details at the customs office but here is what I do remember.

3. At customs office fill in form and confirm details about the goods to customs agent.

4. The customs agent takes down the details and looks up the classification code for the goods which indicates the duties to be applied.
    (There is no duty as they are made in the US and covered by NAFTA.

5. The agent then stamps your papers and prepares a document which covers any duty assigned and a customs processing fee. This documentation is forewarded to a "cashier" elsewhere is the same office and you are directed to that person where you pay all necessary charges and collect your customs papers.

6. I paid the customs fees with visa and collected the documents to go back to pick up my subs.

I don't remember the actual customs fee but it was less than $35. I spent about a half hour at the customs office to save $200.[​IMG]

7. I drove back to where my subs were, handed them the stamped customs documents and they helped load my subs into the back of my truck.[​IMG]

In my case this was easy as where I worked was less that a half hour from both the government customs office in 1 direction and where the subs were held in another direction.

3. Krystian C

Sounds like quite an ordeal, but I guess for $200+ well worth it. Where the Subs being held at the border? If that is the case, it may be too much money for gas for me, and off set the saving too much. I drive a full sive ford van (gotta love 11 miles to the gallon on the hwy), and live a few hrs north of the border so I would be looking at a trip to the border and back twice. About $100 in as total, may not be worth the while.

Any others???? surely there are more than just 1 Canadian with an SVS sub setup??

Kris

4. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

My 20-39PC was purchased nearly two years ago also. It was shipped via UPS and the cost of their brokerage fee was around $50CAD. However, they could not seem to find my house ( I live just outside Calgary, Alberta ), and I had to go to their depot and pick it up. The only other cost was shipping, SVS will give you a quote, and of course the GST. If you know anybody who does any amount of shipping across the border, they usually have an independent broker and they are much less expensive.

Hope that helps.

Steve

5. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Thanks to NAFTA, the duty rate for speakers Canada - US is now 0%. There may still be a brokerage fee, but it should be negligible, and of course the GST and shipping.

6. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter

in my experience, you should probably figure that the final cost of your shipped-to-canada SVS will be approximately twice the price of the sub itself - there's the exchange, the shipping, the tax, and the brokerage fees (no duty).

that's the way it worked out for my B4+, and it's pretty much the way it worked out for my buddy's 20-39.

although the canadian dollar is much stronger now than when i bought my sub, so you might be able to take a little bit of a clip off the top of that rough estimate.

7. Krystian C

John,

Holy *explenitive delete* I hope that it isn't that much more. The sub setup I am looking at is $1928 usd incl shipping, that is $2700 cnd. That means there would be a $1000 tax/border charge???? I know that gst comes to just under $200, but that would still leave $800 for border charges. YIKES!

8. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

you will be charged NO duties on the sub since it was made in the US. you will be charged PST and GST no matter who you ship with. plus a brookerage fee, i would say around $100-$150 if you go UPS, with FedEx it is included in the price and USPS there is only like a $5 handling fee.

I think what John was saying is say your sub was $500 USD, if you figure on it being $1000 CDN after everything is said and done, you will be in the right ballpark. With the US dollar being weak right now, it will be hundreds less than that.

To further the example, say $500 US used to be $750 CDN + say $75 shipping + $50 brookerage fee + $110 tax = $985 (about double). Make sense?

If I was to guess what yours would be, i would say $2700 CDN + $400 (PST/GST)+ $150 brookerage= $3250 CDN

Craig

9. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I don't have any SVS equipment but I have bought a few things from US. The 2 latest orders through Smarthome for some X10 related stuff costs me about $90 CAD each for brokeage and taxes for the price of $280 US.

The actual breakdown for the tax is like $30 and I'm paying FedEx $60 for the brokeage fee.

They also changed the way they charge their customers. I used to pay the fee at the time I receive the package. These days, they'll release the package and send the bill in few week. Another bad thing is they charge 3% for using credit card. But if I send them a cheque, there's no service charge. Wouldn't the credit card be much easier for them anyway?

There's this borderfree.com that offers complete up front cost for shipping from US. I'm not sure if SVS offers that or how that works exactly but you may want to check it out.

Simon

10. Krystian C

Damn, wasn't aware I had to pay both taxes, god I hate the government, my ass is already sore from the raping I get every payday. Ugh! It's getting to the point it is almost not worth while to import. Anyway I digress.

Thanx for the info guys, looks like I have to wait till the end of the month as these extra cost put me over my budget for the 15th, Doh! No SVS for the Two Tower release day.

11. John Doran

John Doran Screenwriter