What's new

Importing large items like used speakers via automobile? US to Canada? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I assume that Boston Acoustics are considered "Made in the USA". So if I buy some large used speakers that were last manufactured in 1994, which had an MSRP then of $1200 USD, and I drive across the border at Niagara or Buffalo, pick up the speakers and return to Canada, what happens in terms of taxes and duties? Any idea how much duties and taxes I will pay? And on what amount? I was planning to say exactly what I was doing on my way into the US and on my way back to Canada. I am not paying too much for them, and so the "receipt" I get will likely be around $200.00 CDN.

Need advice from fellow Canadians. Does anybody have experience with this?

thanx,

:)

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
You will pay GST and PST on the receipt you get from the seller of the speakers. If they are made in the USA, there is 0% duty.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
6% GST? heheh...

I am pretty near positive that Boston Acoustics are MADE IN THE USA.

I guess I should make a receipt that is reasonable.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Made in USA shields you from DUTY which is independent of consumption taxes like GST and PST. You pay those regardless of new or used, duty free or not.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
This is a tough call. What are the rules for declaring things when crossing the boarder? If you have a spare tire in your trunk and dont declare it are the boarder patrol able to seize it? Can they take a car stereo system? If they are used speakers, just throw them in the trunk and act like its no big deal. I dont think they will give you a hard time about a pair of unboxed, used speakers.

They may however pull the drivers and look inside for drugs.

This is exactly why I dont go to Canada, crossing the boarder just makes me nervous, and I know I have nothing to hide. I live 10 minutes from the Peace Bridge in Buffalo and Its been 10 years since Ive been to Canada, and I will never drive my car there, passanger only for me.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Nice one Jimi, way to endorse SMUGGLING which is kind of ILLEGAL.

Obviously if you came INTO the States with your spare tire and you leave with it, you're not liable for any taxes on it. Same for anything else.

Your post is just so stupid and ridiculous it almost isn't even worth replying to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks